I have a lease till the end of February. When should I start looking for a home to buy?

Asked by Camille, Cincinnati, OH Sun Sep 30, 2007

I am in Cincinnati, and looking for a home in one of the old well maintained neighborhoods in the city.

Answers

10
Brett Dunne -…, Agent, Upland, CA
Sun Sep 30, 2007
Camile:

This might be the wrong question first. I would suggest that you start NOW to develop a relationship with a professional Realtor!

Start the process if your do not know a few. Ask your friends whom they used and would recommend. If you are not from the area that you want to buy in let an agent that you do know or one of your friends agent help you find one. Always ask for referrals, it is one of the bes ways to find good Realtors.
Web Reference:  http://www.DayBreakGroup.com
Andy, Home Buyer, Cincinnati, OH
Wed Feb 27, 2008
Short answer - start browsing right away. But as for contacting a realtor and/or lender I would say about 2 months prior to lease end.
Dan Weis, Agent, Cincinnati, OH
Fri Jan 4, 2008
Hi Camille,

You should start educating yourself right away and be comfortable knowing what the home buying process will be when you find the right home. First question to ask, can you extend your lease month-to-month? You don't want to be rushed to find a home right away that's not exactly what you want.

It's always a good idea to attend a home buyer class for more information on the process. You want to be an informed consumer, who's armed with the knowledge to not be taken advantage of. There's a web site listed below about a home buyer class that's been running for more than 20 years. It's a great place to start.

Then you want to find a buyer's agent, who covers the areas you want to live in. Make sure they have the heart of a consultant and not just a salesperson.

Then before looking at homes, make sure you get pre-approved and are comfortable with the mortgage payments you're qualified for. That way you'll be in the price range that best suits your needs.

If I can answer any questions for you, just email me at: dan@danweis.com .
Christie Pey…, Agent, Moorestown, NJ
Wed Jan 2, 2008
First, find your lease and read it. If you can go month to month with a 30 day notice this will give you a timeline. Next, talk with you landlord and make sure what 30 day notice means. Some landlords want 30 days from the 1st of the month, others are willing to take 30 days anytime. Ask if it must be in writing. Now, you can start looking..... but, not shopping until...
Best advise, find a good buyers agent. Make sure the agent works with buyers and has a good working experience with first time buyers. IWhen you find a good buyers agent, he/she will take an hour or two before you begin the home buyer process and go over the home buying process. Next, get qualified, contact a lender. (a good buyers agent can help you find a lender) How much home can you buy?
Now, it's time to start shopping. Good Luck!
Don Bush Team, , Columbus, OH
Sat Dec 22, 2007
Start NOW and hire, enlist your own Realtor Buyer Representative.
Durenda Fach…, , Coastal Tampa Bay area. Pinellas and Pasco Counties.
Mon Dec 10, 2007
Camile

Starting your home buying process now would not be too soon.

Your mortgage processing will take 30-45 days once you have a contract.

Scheduling your closing on your new home prior to the termination of your lease tends to aleviate some potential additional stress.
i.e. if your mortgage or any other factor beyond buyer and seller control delays the closing, jugling movers out, movers in, and closing the same day, etc
By closing prior to the end of your lease (lets say 2 weeks prior) will give you time to do any cleaning, painting etc in your new home; move, unpack, and organize at a less furious pace; and then final clean from move out of your rental on your schedule.
Taking all that into consideration, you may want to identify and contract on your new home by the end of Dec.
Best of luck
Kevin Duffy, Agent, Cincinnati, OH
Mon Dec 10, 2007
It is an educational process, start ASAP. You have less competition looking at homes from now til February. There will be mant more buyers looking to releive their cabin fever in February
Web Reference:  http://www.kevinduffy.com
., , Cincinnati, OH
Tue Oct 2, 2007
Hi Camille:
The first piece to consider is how much home you can afford. If you don't have a realtionship with a lender, now is the time to consider making one. My brokerage offers one stop shopping including mortage services that can pre-qualify you. Home price determined, the next step is choosing your neighborhood. Cincinnati has several older and well maintained neighborhoods (I've lived in some of them: downtown, East Walnut Hills, Mariemont, Hyde Park and Amberley Village to name just a few!) so you have quite an area range. Being a Cincinnati native first and a realtor second, I am always happy to help people find a home in my favorite town! I would suggest working with a realtor first so you can avoid the pitfalls of hour upon hour of online searching. Finally, just to be on the safe side, check with your landlord and see if you can rent month-to-month in the event that the home you want does not turn up right away. That said, begin your home seach today! Thanks! jfk
John Youker,…, , Beavercreek, OH
Mon Oct 1, 2007
Right now would be a good time to start looking for a home to buy in February. You can get familiar with the market and at the same time get into relationship with an agent. Start looking on line and consider the agent you are working with and how are they working - in your best interest or their own. Since you are looking for a specific type of property, I would certainly focus my efforts to find an agent who focuses in that speciatly niche market - they will show up as you search.

I actually work the Hyde Park area to a limited degree, however, I have a GREAT friend who lives and works that area as her primary market base. She is VERY familiar with EVERY home on the market there and would do a fantastic job for you, if you are interested, please let me know by sending me an email and I will introduce the two of you online - sold@johnyouker.com.
Web Reference:  http://www.SWOhioRealty.com
Sue Kirven, , West Chester, OH
Mon Oct 1, 2007
Hi Camille,

If you are new to the area, I would definitely recommend choosing a realtor to help in the process. There are a lot of different variables to consider and the help of a professional realtor is invaluable. It's not too early to start your research for homes now. Feel free to contact me direct. I am a Cincinnati area realtor and will be happy to help in any way. Sue Kirven, Re/Max Unlimited, 513-295-2993.