As a homeowner and real estate professional, I feel your pain. Your realtor should be capitalizing on the fact that buyers of your home are dealing directly with the home owner. Many of my buyers have opted for this for the following reasons:
1. The home owner knows their home and will provide full and complete disclosures. This alone can save you thousands of dollars.
2. Quick closings are possible. One of my client who wanted to own by the end of 2008 found their home on December 17, 2008. Even with the Christmas holiday, which resulted in reduced staffing and days of office closings (for instance our lender was closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the day after Christmas), with everyone working together they recorded on December 31, 2008 and achieved their goal. This would NEVER happen with a bank owned or short sale property.
3. The home has been lovingly cared for. Owners do not remove the granite counter tops or strip the copper wire before moving out. You get a complete and well maintained home.
4. If something is not working or needs repairs, the owner will let you know. You can negotiate on the deal breakers and be grateful for the knowledge of the things you will need to address when you move in. On REOs, you buy with "all the warts and pimples".
5. The energy in the home is much more positive. To those who are sensitive to energies, this is a HUGE selling point. There is a definite difference between the energy in a home filled with a loving family and a home where a family was kicked out against their will.
6. You have access to repair histories, owner's manuals, keys that fit all doors, and garage door openers. This, again is a huge dollar savings in the first few months of ownership.
I could go on and on, but I am sure you get the point. Have your Realtor market to HOME buyers, not HOUSE buyers. People who are looking for a HOME will be more sensitive to the factors illustrated above, and may even pay a few thousand dollars more for the peace of mind they offer. I am sure that the perfect HOME buyer is right around the corner and waiting to be introduced to your home. Dare to Dream.
Real Estate Consultant
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty