I had an offer on a house in escrow. Another broker, from another office and company made a higher offer and also opened escrow.

Asked by Sandra Carro, 86332 Sun Jul 18, 2010

Is this legal? My agent refused to have her offices lawyer on staff write a letter to protest this, let alone litiage it. Am I correct in expecting my agents office to fight this secondary escrow??

Answers

1
Sue Wylie, , Los Angeles County, CA
Sun Jul 18, 2010
Not legal to sell a house twice. Were you asked to cancel the escrow? Did the seller send you notice to perform? NO agent in their right mind would knowingly permit two escrows open at the same time on the same property. It puts the seller in a highly litigious situation. You need to contact your agent's broker. You need to contact the Listing Agent's (the one who represents the seller) Broker too. You need to contact the seller. Do this directly. do not wait for your agent or the List agent. Speak directly to the brokers. If the person who opened escrow after you, closes first, you will have to battle it out in court (suit for performance against the seller) and then would only get monetary compensation if you win.