I had a BK 1 year ago & am discouraged with high rent. I have good income and credit above 650. Should I pursue a lease option or wait another?

Asked by Jack, Scottsdale, AZ Tue Feb 21, 2012

year?

Answers

2
"WordPress"…, , Scottsdale, AZ
Thu May 17, 2012
You can buy a home with a Second Chance loan from Starboard Financial. They have a portfolio loan product that will get you a loan.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Tue Feb 21, 2012
Wait another year. Or, better yet, check with a lender and determine whether you can buy today.

True story: A few years back, as an investor I was offering a property on a lease-option. I had one very interested couple. He'd recently gone through a bankruptcy (he'd owned a business that had gone under). But his record up to that point had been good. His wife had good credit and a good income. I referred him to a lender I used (which is something anyone promoting a lease-option should do), and the next day I got a call back from the lender. Turns out the couple was qualified to purchase a property, and that's what they ended up doing. Bottom line: Don't assume you won't qualify without first talking to a lender.

I love lease-options. In the right situation, they're a definite win-win for both owner and tenant-buyer. But if you can buy today or position yourself to buy in one year, then wait. You'll have a much wider selection of properties and more negotiating leverage than if you go for a lease-option today.