I find a house but the home inspector said it has termite problem, should I buy it ? anyone can recommend a good termite inspector in nyc?

Asked by Anita, 11204 Thu Apr 22, 2010

Answers

7
michele cado…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Sat Mar 5, 2011
Kingsway Exterminating
1-800-926-9421
David Rogoff…, , Brooklyn, NY
Tue Jan 11, 2011
We recall coming across this problem where the termites caused structual problems. It was deal killer.

The attached link provides some valuable information:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5583_hire-termite-inspector.html

Bonnie Chernin and David Rogoff
Fillmore Real Estate Branch #19
2926 Avenue J
Brooklyn NY 11210
917-593-4068 (David’s Cell)
646-318-5031 (Bonnie’s Cell)
davidrogoff@fillmore.com
Rhonda Holt, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Apr 22, 2010
Hello, termites are the worse, but there is a solution. The sellers will usually have a termite company come in and have them treat the termites for the buyer and cover the costs. I mean it's pretty ridiculous to sell a home with termites.

Check out the link below for a reputable termite inspector.
Pierre S King…, , Brooklyn, NY
Thu Apr 22, 2010
Anita:

Please click on the below link! This could be of help to you! Termites are silent deal killers.

Michael Dvor…, Agent, NYC, NY
Thu Apr 22, 2010
Anita,

I am sure your agent has recommendations.
If not, feel free to contact me for the names of a few termite inspectors.

Michael J Dvorkin
michaeldvorkin@fillmore.com
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Apr 22, 2010
Anita - there are 2 issues with termites....................1. whether it's an active termite infestation.... and/or
2. whether there is any damage, structural or otherwsie, caused by the termites.

In regard to the first issue - know that houses can be treated....often holes are drilled aorund the exterior of the home, and chemicals used............homeowners are then given a warranty , usually for one year. Termites are all over the place, and not an unusual occurance - I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a home. Once treated, the problem is gone!

In regard to any damage done by termites - that, too can be corrected. You need to make sure the inspector can identify what damage has been done.....some damage may be minor, maybe aroiund the frame of the garage or a doorway, some damage may deal with more significant structural issues (beams), and may take a specialty carpenter's expertise to correct. Make sure the right expert is called in.

In any event............all of the above can and should be addressed by the seller. You will then receive a "clean bill of health" from the exterminator and for any carpentry work done.

Good luck...........

I am sure a NY agent will come along who can give you a few names of companies to call.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Apr 22, 2010
Your agent can best recommend a good termite inspector(s)--unfortunately termites happen, the decision to buy, or not, is entirely yours.
MPE - Brooklyn Pest Control
(917) 688-4951
http://www.brooklynpestcontrolservices.com
Flag Sun May 4, 2014