I don't know how real estate industry is surviving with low inventory. I With no inventory, and cash buyers, no need for loans, appraisals and

Asked by trafficstudies, Milpitas, CA Wed Mar 6, 2013

agents. Do you see more listings hitting the market soon.

Answers

7
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Thu Mar 7, 2013
I don't have statistics but I'm sure there are lots of people who were in the business last year that are gone or on their way out with so many fewer deals happening. It's at times like this when your past conduct comes back to help you or haunt you. Fortunately for me and my associates we always look out for clients first, and because of this we stay busy through referrals.

In San Francisco equity position is not the problem. I think it has more to due with the fact that the only people who can sell are those who are moving or going to rent because there's nothing to buy.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Thu Mar 7, 2013
In the San Diego market it is rumored that there will be a glut of pent up selling activity as many homeowners wanted to wait until the "selling season" April/(May-Sept/Oct) before marketing their homes.

Additionally, the uptick in property values have risen to the point where many once "Underwater" homeowners can now market their properties and realize at least enough of a return to sell without a deficit and perhaps even put a little bit towards another home, a manufactured home or even a rental.

San Diego is recognized as one of the most ideal retirement zones in the Country and as such retirement communities and manufactured home communities both resident owned and lease/land have been busier than I've seen them since '07.

As a Manufactured Home and General Contractor we have been busy for the past 2 years retrofitting and rehabbing Manufactured Homes. As a Real Estate Broker and a Manufactured Home Dealer and Developer, property manager and investor we've never been busier.

Folks, mainly Baby Boomers who have sold their homes are now looking to downsize in order to enjoy a more comfortable and less binding lifestyle. High end MH resident owned communities are seeing more attrition than they have in the past 25 years that we've been in the business.

But as Lance has so aptly stated: "It's at times like this when your past conduct comes back to help you or haunt you. Fortunately for me and my associates we always look out for clients first, and because of this we stay busy through referrals. "

http://www.onthelevelcontractors.com
http://www.chadofalltrades.com
http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com
http://www.sandiegorealestatetoday.com
Web Reference:  http://www.experiencing
Cindy Valek…, Agent, Darien, IL
Thu Mar 7, 2013
One of the issues holding back an increase in inventory is that many of the people who would like to list their homes and move on to the next adventure owe more than their property is worth. They are not in financial distress, but don't have money to bring to closing to pay off the balance on their mortgages if they were to sell. Short sales are not an option because a. they are not in financial distress and b. they do not want to ruin their credit and put themselves in financial distress to move.
Walter 'Skip'…, Agent, Brea, CA
Thu Mar 7, 2013
Its a jungle out there. With all the information available on line (ie Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com Redfin ect.) everyone thinks they can find a deal on their own. By the time the general public has the information, the property is usually gone. It is best to get an experienced agent to help you.
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Wed Mar 6, 2013
The number of listings are increasing, but apparently, not enough. And those that come up are sold right away with multiple offers. But they're coming.....just hope the buyers are bracing themselves for the competition.

There are several property owners who may be contemplating selling, but are hesitating because their properties are still not back at the price they paid for them, and if so, the sellers will find themselves in a hole. However, since the market is improving, they may be more inclined to sell. I have three such sellers who are waiting...waiting...waiting....

Many buyers are incredulous at the rapid turn of events -- or at least, for them, it happened too quickly. It seemed that the buyers' market they hoped for didn't last long enough. Many of them kept hoping the prices will still go down.....and refused to act. Such buyers may be regretting their decision to wait. And now, it's another mad dash to buy.

I just hope we won't have the crazy and creative financing such as NINJA loans-- no income, no job, no assets --- that enabled people to buy even when they really couldn't afford it.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Wed Mar 6, 2013
Traffic,
I don't watch Real Estate shows and they don't make me any money. The key is having patient buyers who understand I know what I'm doing. I have strategies to get their offers accepted and I'm very careful not to let them overpay either.
I do believe we'll see more inventory soon. Spring is when it traditionally grows and banks have "shadow inventory" which will be released gradually to take advantage of rising prices.
Seth Captain, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Mar 6, 2013
We are surviving thanks to the abundance of real estate shows on television. Realtors are like the glorified cops of Hill Street Blues and Barney Miller or the lawyers of Law and Order or LA LAW. It doesn't matter how low the inventory is, people just want to spend time with a buyer's agent to experience the thrill of real estate. They are even paying for the privilege so that we don't starve with this complete lack of inventory.

As long as they keep producing these shows, the real estate profession will thrive, even if buyers are without a home to purchase.