I don't get it. What is up with the rude, unprofessional behavior of some listing agents? I've been in the market for a house for the last

Asked by Coco, Stockton, CA Mon Dec 14, 2009

six months and I find it unfathomable the way some list agents conduct business. There are some very courteous and ethical agents I have found to be sure; but is there some kind of rating system that I can refer to for checking the customer satisfaction - not just number of houses sold - to determine who is better to conduct business with? I find myself, at times, not even bothering to look at certain houses if a particular agent is the list agent! There must be something out there.

Answers

9
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Well, it's foolish of you to avoid houses because of the listing agent.

It is also simplistic and perhaps unwise to believe that courtesy necessarily goes hand-in-hand with ethical behavior.

But I'm curious, what examples of this sort of behavior would you care to share with us?
Kathryn Vats…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Stockton, CA
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Coco, thank you for you impute. This market and I guess any market in general has its variety of realtors and lender's alike. Looks like you have had your fill of ftrustrations. What I would recommend for you is to obtain a referral to a realtor who is reputable and is working in your favor. When I meet with a client and am ready to move them to a realtor, I try my best to match the personality of the client with the reator. Most of the time it works, but other times, we have had to try someone else. Keep your chin up, there are a lot of very good realtors that do have your best interest in mind. The market is presently lacking in inventory and the home buying process can be very frustrating for all. Work with someone you can trust and everything will work out. If you would like a referral , I am happy to do so. Wishing you the best for this holiday season.
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Coco:

Start with a Realtor who answers their phone and talks to you in a normal, polite and courteous manner.

Which brings me to a question: Why, in the current market, are you calling listing agents? You’re not going to get a better deal or terms that way, as you’ve discovered. In your area, most homes are foreclosures listed by REO Listing Agents, many of whom, quite frankly, don’t want to talk to you. Tons of whom will never respond to your calls or emails.

You are truly best served by hooking up with a good, hardworking and knowledgeable buyer’s agent with whom you feel comfortable and who has sold a large number of homes this past year.

Why do I recommend finding someone who’s sold a LOT of homes representing buyers in the past year? Because the market has gone insane and you need someone with a lot of success in the current market who can lead you through the landmines dotting the real estate landscape. Someone who knows the ropes, knows the prices, knows how to write effective offers, knows how to submit to REO agents and who has a thick skin.

And someone who, in spite of all the stuff going on out there, will represent you to the best of their ability, do it with a smile on their face and find you a home that truly works for you.

Here are a few posts that may be helpful:

Wanna Buy An REO? You MUST Watch This ...
http://bit.ly/7M5It7

How To Buy An REO – Top 17 Questions Answered
http://bit.ly/YGweG

Top 10 Things I HATE About REOs: AND 3 Startling Consequences
http://bit.ly/1PWj4V

Artificially Low List Prices Are Wreaking Market Havoc: 6 MAJOR Emerging Problems
http://bit.ly/K9B4f

It’s Too Good To Be True: REALLY – Top 4 Buyer Myths
http://bit.ly/4PKTHT
Leni Atkinson, , Stockton, CA
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Hi. It just so happens I am a realtor who lives in the 95204 zip code. I listed REO's for the last two years. I tried to be an upstanding agent. When I had to deal with some other agents to show their home, boy can I relate to what you are saying. I understand. Let me know if I can help. Leni Atkinson. Prudential in Brookside.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Why avoid properties because of the listing agent--you may be missing out on some good opportunities--my question to you is, why are you bothering with listing agents anyway--it's in your best interest to have an agent of your own--if you don't already have one call a few Realty offices, interview a couple of agents and choose the one you like best--then take it from there.
Grace Hanamo…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Hello Coco and thanks for your post.

Unfortunately, due to the large volume of inquiries and calls for homes within a certain price range, I do find (as you have already mentioned) that some of the agents are short, rude or never return phone or emailed inquiries regarding their listing. While I'd like to hope these are aberrations and not indicators of where our industry is headed, I do feel your pain and can sympathize with your situation.

Your post seemed to indicate that you're working without the assistance of a real esate agent or Realtor. Perhaps, rather than attempt to brave the harsh elements of today's real estate market, you might find it a lot easier to have an agent be the buffer between you and the listing agent. This way, rather than your having to chase down information about a home, your agent can do this for you, and likely may be more successful in the attempt. Sometimes, real estate professionals have a biased toward working with other real estate professionals rather than trying to negotiate a deal with the buyer directly. So while it may seem that working directly with the listing agent would be more attractive to the listing agent (in terms of commission), the agent may prefer a simpler deal where another agent is being paid to work with the buyer directly.

Talk with an interview several agents to find the one that can assist you. Make certain that this individual understands your needs and has experience in handling the purchase of distressed property as well.

Good luck!!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
Randy Elliott, Agent, Lodi, CA
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Hello Coco,

I apologize for you having to endure what even some of us agents have to as well. I too get frustrated with how some agents can be very short, disrespectful, and downright rude. However, this is not the 'norm' I believe.

There are great agents in our area that I not only enjoy talking to and working with, but would even refer to and use myself if I was in your shoes. Some of those agents are here on Trulia. This forum shows that customer service is one of, if not THE main focus of our duties.

As Mr. Kininmon mentioned, it's always a good idea to ask around and get advice from family, friends, and co-workers as to who they would recommend.

You're definitely in a situation where you need your own Buyer's agent, and one that you can work well and communicate with.

Good luck and don't give on what your main goal is right now, and that is to find a good home for a good price.

Randy Elliott
Rocky G.H. H…, Agent, Ripon, CA
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Hi Coco,

As with lawyers, Hair Stylist and other professions it's all about attitude. Unfortunately, there are lot of agents, just not to many real good ones who put their clients first.

Don’t give up or give in!

"Rocky" G.H. Hawrysz, Realtor®, Broker Associate, e-PRO®, ABR®, SRES®
Prudential California Realty
(209) 444-6610 - Direct Office Line
(209) 433-2000 - Direct Fax Line
(209) 915-6209 - Mobile
E-Mail: rocky@prucalifornia.com
Visit http://www.TeamHawrysz.com
License # 01468373
George Kinin…, , Stockton, CA
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Coco,

Sorry to hear about your experiences. Ask someone you know for a referral and have your agent do all the talking. I would also say that many agents here are truly professional. Take the time to review their client testimonials. I post mine as a reminder that there are good, professional real estate agents in the Stockton area.

However, I only represent buyer andI work my tail off showing homes to my buyers. I tire them out showing them homes. Nights, days, mornings and weekends...you name it. You must see homes in order to find the one you're looking for. Your best bet is a word of mouth referral from a trusted friend and/or check agent testimonials.

FYI for anyone considering a home purchase and is using an FHA loan, remember you must be in contract in April 2010 to be able to close and take advantage of the June 2010 tax credit deadline. Also, Veteran's get longer and must be in contract by April 2011 to close in June 2011. Let me know if I can assist futher. George_Kininmonth@hotmail.com

George S. Kininmonth

FOWLER MORTGAGE & REAL ESTATE COMPANY
2529 West March Lane, Suite 103

Stockton, CA 95207

Office: (209) 952-4574

Cell: (209) 649-8114

Fax: (209) 952-0920

The best exercise is to bend down and help somebody up.