I bought a house in Brockton mass but the tenets was asked to move out they are at will tenants but didn't the owner before she sold it gave a 14 day

Asked by richard, Quincy, MA Thu Jan 23, 2014

Answers

7
Christine Sm…, Agent, Canton, MA
Thu Jan 23, 2014
You should have verified that the tenants were out before closing and this should have been a contingency in your purchase and sale agreement. I assume you had a buyers agent and an attorney when you purchased? They should have made sure this was taken care of so go back to them and ask why it wasn't and ask how they can assist you now.

If you did not have representation and this was not spelled out in the purchase and sale agreement, you will now have to evict them if you want them out. Contact an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant work to help with the process.

This is one of many reasons why it is important to have your own representation when you purchase real estate
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Thu Jan 23, 2014
You should not close with any tenants in the property if you were to move in. first it should have been in your offer that they are out BEFORE closing and you should not have closed if they were still there during your walkthrough. If you closed they are now your problem and you will bear the cost to evict them. Your buyer agent should have guided you through this. If you got a mortgage they should have warned you. Check your contract and speak with a lawyer who can guide you properly
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Thu Jan 23, 2014
Richard,

Shame on your attorney and buyer agent.

I assume you had both.

You should of been informed as to what you were buying, the obligations you have and the procedures that are involved.

All should of been spelled out in the purchase and sales agreement, security deposits accounted for.

This is Massachusetts - its a tenants state when it comes to the courts. Cross your i's dot your t's make sure you follow the law.

"Caveat Emptor" Let the buyer beware
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Thu Jan 23, 2014
Once you closed on the house you inherited the tenants. If you did not want them you should have refused to close until they were gone. Now you're going to have to have them evicted. The best advice I can offer is to speak with a local attorney. It's possible you may be able to get the seller to help you, but i wouldn't count on it.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Thu Jan 23, 2014
Scott A. Nel…, , 02155
Thu Jan 23, 2014
You really need the advice of an attorney to do this correctly. If they were supposed to have been gone before you bought, you shouldn't have closed with them there. You need the advice of an attorney to make sure how you proceed is done properly. Massachusetts is one of the most pro - tenant states. Landlords have to follow very specific rules.
Greer Swiston, Agent, Newton, MA
Thu Jan 23, 2014
Is occupancy a contingency of the sale? i.e. is the occupancy of the house specifed in the P&S ... whether you wanted it vacant or occupied?
The tenet received a 14 day noticed from the owner as she sold it
Flag Thu Jan 23, 2014