If it was a regular sale, than don't worry about my scenario suggestion. So sorry you are dealing with this ugly circumstance. I would definetaly call the listing agent's broker and get some response and action going!!
What is not clear to me is how you can try to close without having completed your inspections (you said you had to postpone your home inspection because the agent has failed to return calls). Can this property be accessed only by appointment with the listing agent? I feel there are several missing pieces to this puzzle. Also, what reason would your loan officer have for calling the seller's agent. What kind of info does your loan officer need that nobody else can supply? I can't say that I am used to hearing from the buyer's loan officer on any of my listings. It's not that I have never spoken to the buyer's loan officer, but have not found that the loan officer could not close without talking to me (of course I would return the call). Maybe you could provide more detailed info.
Sorry you are going through this hassle.
This is unusual for an agent to go dark for a month...or is it that you've had to extend the closing a month... ?
Have you tried the listing agent's broker or tried to contact the Seller directly...?
Let us know what happens...
Make it a great day...
Regardless of the above questions on my part, the title company can contact the sellers directly. But, the best way for everyone to deal with the situation is for your agent to contact the seller's broker and get to the bottom of this. A selling agent should not be the cause for holding up the transaction....your agent should deal with it appropriately. If it means the broker takes over or assigns another agent to represent the seller, so be it.
You can always issue them a Notice to Perform if they are not performing.
I doubt they'll allow you to cancel. They'll find someone to help you. It could be that the realtor has health problems or other situations going that their broker is not aware of....there's lots of circumstances. But for your own benefit I'd call the broker immediately. if you are not satisfied that way, you can contact DRE and ask them for advice.