Home Buying in Easton>Question Details

CT, Home Buyer in Trumbull, CT

I am thinking about moving to Easton. Where is the nearest train station? Pros/Cons of living in Easton?

Asked by CT, Trumbull, CT Sun Jul 20, 2008

You live in Trumbull and don't know where the train stations are? Seriously? Stay in Trumbull. Easton will be too much of a challenge.
Our family found property taxes unmanageable for us. When we sold, many buyers and agents who came to inquire about home remarked on this aspect.
Hi David - I live in Easton and love to sell there! The nearest train station is Fairfield, but I have actually heard of people who choose to drive to Stamford and then hop the train there for commuting into NYC. Easton is close-knit community with a new elementary school, updated middle and high schools. High school is Joel Barlow and is shared with Redding. Contrary to what some may say, there are wonderful neighborhoods here --in addition to the farms. Although there are only a minimal amount of stores and gas stations, Easton is very close to Fairfield, Westport and Monroe (depending on which side of Easton you choose).

Take a look. I commute out of Fairfield. About 25 minutes from here.

Country Compound in SW Newtown - Rent; Rent w/Option - Circa 1790 4br, 2ba vintage country house w/vaulted master suite, orig hw fl, exposed beams, htd ingrd pool, spa, breakfast nook, and barn w/ studio/office up, workshop below. Incl separate 1 BR Cottage overlooking property. Appl's included. SW Newtown. First, last, security. Credit check. Available Nov. 1. See it at http://www.hattertownroad.com, or call 203-426-7024. $2900 + utilities.

Easton is a wonderful town to have on your short list. Two years ago, I assisted buyer clients on a search of Wilton, Weston, and Easton, and they chose Easton. They travel down Route 136 from Easton to Westport to the Merritt Parkway at exit 42 (Rt 57). then they take the Merritt to Norwalk's Route 7.

The train coming from Danbury to Norwalk stops right there at a commuter station. Their distance to that station is about 10.5 miles; yours would depend upon where you live in Easton. If you would be in the Southern part of town, the Merritt would likely be more accessable. The commuter trains make good connections fairly easy for you.

Keep in mind that both Route 136 and the Merritt Parkway (Rt 15) are loaded at rush hours. But, I know the back roads around most of the rush traffic.

If you check the website for the transportation provider most likely has a map of where the parkling lots. Pros/Cons of Living in Easton have you consider speaking with the residence obtaining their comments. Real estate professionals per code of ethics can’t make comments on where person should live.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Hi David,

The community in Easton is very conservation conscious and as such the town has managed to keep the area rather undeveloped and rural. Lot size is generally large and homes can be found in all shapes, age ranges and sizes.

Depending upon which end of Easton you are and parking considerations, you may find it just as easy to go to the Bridgeport station. The Bridgeport schedule has more express trains, too. Of course, Fairfield may be closer, but parking permits have a fairly significant waiting list at this point.

The only con that I can think of for Easton (which will be a pro for many) is the lack of shopping, restaurants, etc. It is very rural and you will most likely want to go to Monroe, Trumbull, Bridgeport or Fairfield to shop.

When I was searching to buy my last home, Easton was high on my list. Prices are more reasonable in comparison to Fairfield and the larger lots provide more privacy, play space for children if needed, etc. If you would like any assistance, feel free to contact me or visit my website to search the complete Fairfield County MLS system. It is a great time to buy right now!
Hi David,
The nearest train station would be Fairfield. When the new train station is built, it will make for a shorter ride. The pros of living in Easton are that you will get more bang for your buck, property and house wise. Many of the lots in Easton are zoned 3 acres. The closer you get to the Fairfield border (on Sport Hill and side streets) you will find smaller lots. The homes there will reflect a slightly higher price because of its proximity to the Merritt. Another pro is Silverman's...the best pies around! The con to some would be the fact that it is not on the railroad line. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance...good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.askdoris.com