I am thinking about buying a home that would need an addition, it is a small home at 1160 sqft. How much would it cost to add a second floor?

Asked by Danielle Farrello Millinghausen, Horsham, PA Tue Aug 7, 2012

2nd floor to include 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. My husband could do a lot of the work (hanging drywall, floors, the complete bathroom including plumbing). Home is in Doylestown.

Answers

4
Gita Bantwal, Agent, Jamison, PA
Fri Aug 17, 2012
First check with the township or the boro about requirements for adding a floor before making an offer on the house.
Jack Torres, Agent, Doylestown, PA
Tue Aug 7, 2012
Hi Danielle,

Sounds like you're considering a big undertaking! It's difficult to say exactly how much it would cost to add a second story to a home. There are many factors involved. Your best bet would be to consult with an Architect or Contractor to try to get an idea of the overall cost. Other things to take into consideration are permit costs, zoning restrictions, etc. Also - is the house serviced by public water and sewer? If not, there could also be other restrictions as far as what you are able to do.

I have a great network of local professionals that I work with that would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Best to get your questions answered before you commit to buying that particular home.

Feel free to email me j.torres@cbhearthside.com, or give me a call at 215-740-0607. I'd be happy to refer you to the right people to get your questions answered.

Jack
, ,
Tue Aug 7, 2012
Hello Danielle,

You need to speak to a local builder that can give you some estimates based on your needs. If you are looking for construction financing there are a few things that you should know. One thing is that lenders typically don't like do it yourself homeowners. There are lots of reasons for this and I'd be happy to discuss what are the norms for construction or rehab financing.

Please fell free to call me if you have any questions.

Alan Openshaw
Cornerstone Lending Inc
Southampton Pa 18966
215 953 0800
cell 267 992 7276
VOTED BEST IN BUCKS 2010 & 2012
NMLS ID 143960
Jeannette Ba…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Tue Aug 7, 2012
Best bet, try Angie's list, they have qualified contractors call and get an estimate it's free go for it..http://www.angieslist.com/ Or ask around for recommended contractors in your neighborhood...