I am searching for a 4 bd , 3 bath SFH in either Bethesda or Mclean ? which area is better(central situated) for commute to DC,Tysons &

Asked by Ram, Bethesda, MD Thu Aug 9, 2012

Rockville ? MD has local county taxes, and VA doesn't. should this matter ?
Not sure if the taxes are higher in MD.
Which has better k12 schools ?
thanks for your thoughts..

Answers

7
John Fitzger…, , Fairfax County, VA
Fri Aug 10, 2012
Hi, Ram. I left Bethesda, MD, and sold the home I grew up in, for a move to Arlington, VA in 1987, and have never regretted doing so. Check out the US News and World report link to see how North Arlington's schools rank. I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise. Check out Yorktown and Woodlawn!

I personally found my taxes to be lower in Arlington than in Montgomery County. My insurance costs dropped by about 60%. My commute times to Tyson's and DC dropped a lot from Bethesda. I personally would choose North Arlington over any other location in the Metro DC area as a place to live.
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Thu Aug 9, 2012
People in McLean will tell you there schools are better and their community is better. People in Rockville may tell you the same about theirs. I have never lived outside of VA but have done business in MD, DC and VA, and have commuted to all. Personally, I really prefer VA. Go to Greatschools.net for school information and parent reviews. I don't think the commute matters much if you go back and forth between the areas - getting across the bridge during rush hour stinks, so you tailor your schedule to avoid it as much as possible - at least that is what I did. If you decide on VA let me know - and if you would like to work with a REALTOR that works both sides of the river, let me know that, too. I'd be happy to refer you to a friend of mine that would be great! You can reach me at MyAgentVicky@Gmail.com
Ray Paseur, Home Owner, Alexandria, VA
Thu Sep 20, 2012
Schools in Bethesda and McLean are among the best in the country; I would say they are equivalent in quality. Rockville, however, is not Bethesda. Taxes are higher in MD. You might want to consider the McLean community called Potomac Hills.
Lydia Zache, Agent, Rockville, MD
Thu Sep 6, 2012
I am a Broker in DC, MD and VA..... legally I can not answer your question for a practice in real estate we call steering but I can recommend some websites for you to do your own research and find the answers for any areas you are considering....

I have sold successfully in both DC and MD.... I would recommend you give your agent the location that you are going to be working and let us do a map search and find homes which fit your criterian if you need an agent I am happy to be your girl...

my website is northernvirginiahomenetwork.com

happy house hunting
LYdia Zache
Erik Weissko…, Agent, fairfax, VA
Fri Aug 10, 2012
Ram,

Welcome back! I recall speaking with you in the past.

I work both MD and VA and have done so for 25 years. Having lived in both counties..it all depends on what you are looking for.

Personally I would worry less about taxes and more about quality of life and commute time. Also each location has it's own pluses and minuses.

Both have great schools..I would want to have the shortest commute to work..so I can spend more time with my family...

Any questions etc. feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Erik J. Weisskopf,ABR,CDPE,CRS,GRI
Re/Max Distinctive Real Estate
Erik@AskMeAboutHomes.com
703.216.1222
Melissa Bark…, Agent, Washington, DC
Fri Aug 10, 2012
Hi

They are both good areas to live in. It depends on what you are looking for, where are you looking to be closest to, DC? Tysons? or Rockville? McLean is right by Tysons, so if that is the area you are focusing on then McLean seems to be your better bet. If Rockville is where you need to be closest to, then Bethesda would be the better choice. As for DC, it really depends on where the house is, from McLean you can take the GW Parkway in, from Bethesda you can take multiple options to get into DC. Both locations have fairly close metro access and new metro stations will open up in 2013 in Tysons.

In terms of your school question, as Paul mentions, we can not comment on which is a better location. Here is a link to the Fairfax Co Public Schools website and to the Montgomery Co Public Schools website:

http://www.fcps.edu/index.shtml
http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have additional questions. I would be happy to work with you to find a home. I have my license in VA, MD and DC, I am an ABR (Accredited Buyers Rep).

Melissa
mbarkalow@comcast.net
202.285.9479
Paul Pavot, Agent, Fairfax, VA
Thu Aug 9, 2012
Both are excellent locations and it really depends on your situation (ie job location, friendship base, family, etc.). One of the great attractions to McLean is that it serves as a hub to many areas of Virginia, DC and Maryland. Bethesda has more shopping than downtown McLean, though Tyson's Corner shopping malls straddle the border between McLean and Vienna. As for the tax question, the additional taxes take away from your purchasing power when looking at your monthly mortgage, so keep that in mind. Finally, we as realtors can not comment about schools, however feel free to use the following great resources to help you in your research:

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools
http://www.greatschools.org/
http://www.eschoolprofile.com

Let me know if I can be of service in finding you your next home. My office with McEnearney Associates is in the heart of McLean at 1320 Old Chain Bridge Road, and I would be happy to send a list of homes currently in the market that meet your criteria. I can be reached at 703-623-8050.

Paul Pavot