I am renting a house and want to buy it. Does the owner still have to pay the 6 percent commission if I do buy it.?

Asked by Mynx200, Michigan Thu Apr 28, 2011

In the lease it states that if we buy it the owner still owes the commission. He was paid the commission for the original rental and I feel that he should not also get commission for me buying the house as well. He did not help me find the house, and was not instrumental in us renting the house. I saw the sign and called the office and they handled the paperwork. My question is does he still owe the commission even though the realtor already got paid the commission for the rental.

Answers

5
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Fri Apr 29, 2011
Hi, I would read your lease agreement very carfeully. Typically when I rent a tenant an apt/home I include a clause in the lease stating that if you the tenant decides to buy it doen the road then we would be a due a commission. The percentage would have to be mutually agreed upon by the landlord and me, the tenants agent. Every agent is different so that is why you sould read the language to see if anything like that has been included.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Kathy Persha, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Fri Apr 29, 2011
This isn't reallly your concern. The owner signed a contract with his agent and agreed to the terms. If the owner doesn't like the terms, it is up to him to speak with his agent.
Missy Caulk, Agent, Saline, MI
Thu Apr 28, 2011
If it is in the lease and signed by both the landlord ie..now seller then yes.
The written contract will prevail, that is why all real estate contracts are in writing.

Now if you worked with the listing agent to write up the contract, you may be able to negotiate the commission down. But, if he says no, the contract will rule.
Karen Paytas, Agent, Clinton Twp, MI
Thu Apr 28, 2011
Mynx:

As Pam stated talk to the agent that did the lease. His contract obviously states that he gets paid if you purchrase the home, but maybe he would be willing to work something out.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com
Pam Bava, Agent, Rochester, MI
Thu Apr 28, 2011
I think your best bet is to speak with the agent that handled the rental agreement. You may be able to work something out with him.