I am ready to retire. My family moved away from Albany in 1976 when I was 12 years old. I would like to return to the Malone St area how is it now?

Asked by Bonnie R Rogers, Albany, GA Thu Mar 14, 2013

We lived in base housing then briefly lived on Jean St. In checking these 2 streets,.. I found houses for sale that were incredibly cheap. Is this a "bad" area now? I am white, but have no problem living in a mixed neighborhood. If these prices are real I can buy the house for cash and retire now..Can anyone advise?

Answers

3
Mary Richards, Home Buyer, Herlong, Jacksonville, FL
Thu Apr 18, 2013
I have been told the East Dougherty is no longer the safe place to live that it once was. That is why I haven't moved back.
Lacey Mccarty, Agent, Albany, GA
Thu Mar 14, 2013
I can not advise on whether or not these areas are bad areas or good areas. That will be a matter of personal opinion. I can however take you to see the areas and then you can get a feel of how you like them. I would love the opportunity to show them to you. Will you be in town soon to be able to make an appointment. If you do not like the areas we can always explore other subdivisions. Please let me know and I will be here to assist you.

Lacey McCarty
229-886-9701
Thank you for your reply. I currently live in Burlington, North Carolina and wouldn't be able to visit Albany until June (maybe) I would really like to find something in the area of Jean and/or Malone Ave. as these areas hold fond memories of my youth.
Would it be possible to get you to send floor plans and room dimensions/sq footage of any properties you currently have on these 2 streets. I would want to have properties lined up to view before I plan the trip down there. I am motivated to buy quickly when I do visit (at the prices I am seeing I even think I can pay cash).
I read some of the impressions of the area by residents on your web page, and must say it saddens me. I have such good memories of living there. I don't have any problem with race, but the crime and lack of "customer service" are a little distressing. I think a trip down would ease my mind and I want to view homes in the areas I mentioned, but I don't want to live in a high-crime neighborhood.
Flag Thu Mar 14, 2013
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Mar 14, 2013
Why not simply consider a visit to the area and see all firsthand...