I am planning to buy a townhome in Avalon Square, Irving, TX. This small community is being developed by Hovnanian homes.

Asked by shayas.r, Irving, TX Wed Dec 12, 2012

Few Questions:
1. Is this a safe area of the town to stay in?
2. What is a good price per sqft. for this area for a townhome?
3. Are townhomes a safe bet for building a decent equity?

Answers

7
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sat Dec 15, 2012
Safe is a relative term. What is safe to you might not be safe to me. For crime stats we always say check with the police department. Crime is everywhere, including up and down MacArthur.

Price per square foot will depend on where you buy. Different quality construction will have different prices. Each builder in this area is a little different. It can also depend on what upgrades you get. It can also depend on the size you buy. The bigger ones around 3500sqft might be closer to $100/sqft whereas the smaller ones around 1900sqft might be in the $130-$140/sqft range.

I think the much better buys are the resales in some other neighborhoods. Most of the people I know in the area who bought new have taken a hit on resale. So picking up the resales can save you a lot of money. I really like La Villita, but there are some other neighborhoods around as well where you can likely cut a much better deal. Some people like new, but that's for enjoyment in many cases, not for investment. You can see some of them here at this link:
http://www.metroplexhomesalesinfo.com/listings/areas/23475,23486…

In any case new or preowned, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use a realtor in your purchase plan. Normally this is at no extra cost to you. We will often save you time, money, and a lot of headaches in the process, plus answer all these questions and many more.

If you would like to compare any of these properties to the new ones, just let me know.
Johnny Mowad, Agent, Dallas, TX
Fri Dec 28, 2012
Here is the link that I provide to all of my clients... You will find it has all of the information regarding all of the Dallas/Ft Worth communities...

http://simplydallas.com/community
Karen Gearha…, Agent, Colleyville, TX
Thu Dec 27, 2012
Hello Shayas!

Several qualified agents have already answered your question regarding safety, so I won't go there. You have to do your own research, but that is easy to do. That area has the patrol cars from the Las Colinas Association, which I don't think were mentioned here. They will even call you if you leave your garage door accidentally open!

In general, you want a full time, full service Realtor to help you. If they are discounting their commission in order to attract your business, that may tell you something. The seller pays the commission, so our service normally costs you nothing....ZERO! So why now use our services?

Also, I have a pre-owned townhome for sale on Love Drive (6464 Love Drive) that is priced to sell and compares to the new townhomes with the same floor plan being built for $5,000 less. If you would like to see that property, just give me a call! The seller is very motivated to sell, so that might be a good value. Bring your own Realtor if you wish, or I can talk to you about acting as an Intermediary agent, and what that means for you.

Most of all, you will stop throwing your money away on leasing, where you are actually paying someone else's mortgage for them!

Best of luck to you in 2013!

Karen Gearhart-Posey
Century 21 Judge Fite Co.
http://www.HeartBeatofIrving.com
972-571-1139
Dixon Wong, Agent, Dallas, TX
Fri Dec 14, 2012
HI Shayas,

I have work in Irving for a few years and I personally have no have an issues in that part of town. But as a realtor we can only give our resources for crimes stats so you can go to http://www.ci.irving.tx.us/ or https://www.crimereports.com/

For a 2 bedroom unit, its average at 96/sq ft.

Town home is a good start from building equity. I would say its better than condo!

Dixon
JP and Associate
http://www.findyourtexashome.com
Rob Johnson, Agent, Irving, TX
Thu Dec 13, 2012
Hi Shaya,

Thanks for the thoughtful questions. There is no clear-cut answer. Sounds like you are serious so I'll share some of the things to consider.

1) Safety is a personal thing. I doubt any of my clients would define it the same way. You can go to the city of Irving's website at http://www.ci.irving.tx.us/ and click on the police department pages to look at neighborhood police activity. You've seen all the development there. Others think it's a desirable place to live. We've sold homes in the area. Again, a personal choice.

2) When our clients are considering a home to buy, we do an SOLD analysis of the area to see what the comparable homes have sold for. Newly-built homes are harder to pin down because of different levels of upgrades negotiated by buyers, especially over the past few years.

3) How long do you plan to live in the townhome? What's the price you pay for it? What features have you included in the home? Do you take care of your home generally? I'm not sure whether you have considering buying previously, but generally the gain you realize when you sell has a lot to do with these questions. Seriously, no one has a crystal ball. Generally, the longer you stay and the better you maintain your home, the more successful you will be when you sell. From a loan standpoint, you build equity quicker with a shorter mortgage term because more money goes toward reducing the principal each month.

You are smart to ask the questions. Even smarter, find a Realtor who is focused on your needs and will provide you a full range of services. Typically, agents who discount their services will deliver what you pay for: less than what you deserve.

Thanks, Rob
RE/MAX DFW Associates
972-402-4158
Sanjeev Lad, Agent, McKinney, TX
Wed Dec 12, 2012
Good Evening Shayas,

To address your questions, I have my friends and family that personally live in the area and I personaly have not had any one ever complain regarding the safety of the immediate area.I can send you a comparative market analysis which will provide similar townhomes in the Irving market so you can see apples to apples what the current market is demanding per square foot. Since I act both as an agent and lender, to build the quickest equity would be the loan product you choose, you would be able to build more equity with a 15 year fixed compared to a 30 year fixed. Irving/Las Colinas market is expanding and growing and in my personal opinion the value will definitely be there for years to come, especially with a newer end property. Feel free to contact me either via email at slad215@gmail.com or by phone at (214) 497-8150 to discuss further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sanjeev Lad
Fathom Realty
Residential Real Estate Agent
License #: 0583491
Phone: (214) 497-8150
Email: slad215@gmail.com

Premier Nationwide Lending
Residential Mortgage Loan Originator
NMLS RMLO ID #: 530178
Phone: (214) 497-8150
Email: slad@pnlending.com
Pat O'Reilly, Agent, Irving, TX
Wed Dec 12, 2012
Good questions. I would still suggest that you get the services of a local Realtor. They will be able to answer these questions and make sure you are getting the best deal on your townhome.
On question 1. Go to the City of Irving's website to see all the information on safe areas.