I am planning on buying from Centex. Anyone have positive or negative experience with new home construction?

Asked by Nancy Wilson, Tue Apr 8, 2008

Answers

29
Mariyaluci, Home Buyer, South Miami, FL
Fri Sep 9, 2016
I know quite a lot about Centex Homes.
1.compared to some of the other large builders around here their quality and customer service seems better than all of them.

2.These types of homes are very low on options, but what they do have is very low price per square foot. Given the rapid increases in land prices in Raleigh this dollar amount is remarkable, but you do lose many upgrades. I'm sure the onsite agent told you all this anyway. They sell incredibly well to large families with moderate income.

I'm not sure whether your house will be a good investment as this really all depends on your location and there's so much building going on in your part of town. But, you'll be living in a good quality home.
http://usaconstructionloans.com
This is a lie. Centex Homes are not worth the money stay away from them.
Flag Sat May 6, 2017
j.lady.7@hot…, Home Buyer, San Antonio, TX
Fri Sep 6, 2013
I have had a nightmarish experience with Centex. It is a cheaply built house, and the area construction that will last for years will make you hate living in the area. Frequent thefts have been attributed to workers that watch your every move.

JoAnn McCown
San Antonio, Texas
Kerry, , Richmond, VA
Sun Jul 19, 2009
An update from my CENTEX neighborhood.
Leaking basements have now reached 100% of the houses with basements. Next door they have just completed digging up the sides of his house to reseal. The other side of him, they are now digging out the cement pad in his basement for the second time, his house is shifting so much that none of his doors close in his house.
I would also note that those on here who support CENTEX on this website are dealers and not home buyers...that should tell you a lot about shady real estate agents now don't you think?
Sorry about your troubles Kj in Fort Collins, I feel your pain.
Kj, Home Buyer, Fort Collins, CO
Fri Jul 17, 2009
I have been in a new centex home for almost 2 years now, and its been nothing but a nightmare. From the start of the building process to the finished home. We have and had over 20 major repairs done and still half are not done yet. they fight you tooth and nail. Cracks in basement walls, gas leaks, electrical problems, ripped the bathroom floor up 2 times, still not right...... I could go on and on. I have been a nervous wreck from this... and its been miserable...... Buyer Beware.....its on going
Tobias Kaiser…, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Tue Apr 8, 2008
From my experience:
a) I will not let any client sign a purchase contract for new construction without having a real estate attorney blessing that contract. New home contracts can turn into a nightmare. For the buyer of course, never for the builder.
b) Do not (!) forgo a building inspection before the final payment. Just because it's a new home doesn't mean it's in flawless condition.

All the best and good luck,
Tobias Kaiser
Robert Guth, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Tue Jan 10, 2017
Centex Homes has a history of unsatisfied customers, as well as bad online reviews:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/housing/centex.html

If you're worried about finding a reputable builder, you can consider existing homes often at a better price:

http://www.capecoralfortmyershomesonline.com/search
Oceanview_tx…, Home Buyer, Bonita Springs, FL
Wed Oct 12, 2016
I am a Realtor and I would advise to stay away from Centex homes. Their staff and Sales persons are unprofessional. They have a new foreman every month. Even there own employees don't like working for them. I made an attempt to purchase a home and the Sales person Diane Guzman made mistakes with the options/upgrades and the wrong items were installed in the home. Her manager, Carrie Lighty never had the courtesy to the apologize for the errors and do the right thing. Instead they expected me to purchase another home with additional upgrade I did not want. They did not disclose the backyard would be used for a drain for the overflow of water from a drain in a greenbelt and the homes They also expected me to pay an additional amount for the lot and the same floor plan. When an error was made by one of their staff they made excuses and didn't own up to their mistakes.
I was advise to take my earnest money and be on my way because they were not willing to build a home with the options/upgrades that was in my original contract. Very poor business ethics!!!!!
Most honest realtor ever.
Flag Fri Apr 7, 2017
CENTEX IS HO…, Home Buyer, Dallas, TX
Tue Apr 1, 2014
I bought a home from Centex in 2012. This is the cheapest and worst builder you can buy from. They didn't install a ladder in the attic and the roof shingles are not installed properly (nails exposed inside the attic). The electrical is done very poorly and I have spent thousands out of pocket. When I installed new floors I found that the floors and baseboards were installed incorrectly. They also did not pretreat the attic for rodents, which has caused me a slew of issues and $1000 bill. Their warranty department is quick to state its not covered and there is nothing they can do. I made the worst mistake of my life. This is the worst builder out there!!!!!
Kerry, , Richmond, VA
Fri Sep 6, 2013
Very few in our neighborhood are happy with Centex. Look at the responses on this website... those who bought a Centex home are complaining about them, those who sell them are the only ones with something positive to say.
Rob Weber, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Plainfield, IL
Fri Sep 6, 2013
While I myself have not purchased one, I have clients who have in the past and to date, I haven't had any complaints from before a couple of years ago. Some of the more recent transactions had a few complaints but I figured it was my client being picky or the items were wear-and-tear and not necessarily anyone's fault.

I did notice the widely differing responses, it would seem that in certain areas of the country, there may be a few too many corners being cut but honestly, I'd be surprised to hear of any builder who didn't cut some corners to try and make it through the last five years.

As with any transaction, always have a home inspection, regardless of how new the home may be.
Web Reference:  http://RobWeber.com
classicking, Home Buyer, Bonita Springs, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Very negative experience. I'm sure by now you've purchased your home with Centex or gone elsewhere. I personally would never recommend a Centex home to anybody and here is why:

We purchased our home in September of 2011... "BRAND NEW" or so we were told, the house was actually almost a year old before we got the keys (which is not what we were originally told). The plumbing is a joke, they have bulges in the drywall that they call plumbing stacks, so rather than bury the plumbing in the wall behind the studs (as a proper carpenter would), they chose to just drywall over it, yes seriously!

The basement was leaking withing the first few weeks of ownership, right in through the walls.

The roof was leaking this past spring right into the laundry room on the second story.

The flooring was laid improperly and has caused our now 1 and a half year old flooring to crack, split and shift out of place (they refuse to fix)

Nail pops and cracks everywhere

Tiles are falling out of the shower enclosure in the "luxury garden bath" (which by the way is a waste of money)

The carpet is completely smashed down and there are only 2 adults living here (they won't stand behind it)

Stairs going down to the basement were improperly installed and completely crooked (VISIBLY as well)

Areas of carpeting without any pad underneath at all.

Sod outside was laid right on top of boulders, garbage and I've even found sticks and construction hardware right underneath the sod.

Floor creeks galore.

Wall nail pops and cracks everywhere.

Drafts at almost every window and door.

All the floor vents for the HVAC were laid crooked.

Mirrors in bathrooms hung crooked.

Oh, and customer service, total JOKE! They will blame you for every issue. They take ZERO responsibility for how the home was constructed. (Seems logical to blame the home buyer for how the home was built)

I could go on for days...

DON'T BUY A CENTEX HOME!!!!!!!! BUYER BEWARE

I can't take my purchase back, but you can choose to build somewhere else!
Did your multi stage home inspection not reveal any of these defects? Or did you not pay for an independent inspection? Sorry you had to go through such a nightmare! Alma, Tampa
Flag Wed Feb 27, 2013
Joann, Home Owner, Richmond, VA
Thu Feb 17, 2011
I also live in a Centex home in Midlothian, VA (Richmond Area) and we've had nothing but problems. Cracked foundations, master shower leaking into the down stairs, mold from the leak, hall bathtub sinking, drainage problems, gas leaks, interier doors that will no longer close and lock and the list goes on and on. We've only been in this house 4.5 years and we had it built. Centex Customer service tries its best (once they finally get back to you) to blame it on the homeowner, that it's something you did to cause the problem.

We will NEVER buy another Centex home again and would not recommend them either
Brittany Sim…, , Columbus, OH
Wed Oct 15, 2008
Nancy:

I am not in your market, however I wanted to offer a few bits of advice. Centex built in my area for many years, so I am familiar with their product. They build a nice production home. Their customer service was always good in my experience.

Find a local buyer agent to assist you with your transaction. It should not cost you anything extra to use an agent as Centex cooperates with realtors and will pay their compensation. This agent will act on your behalf in negotiations, counsel on options that will increase your resale potential and troubleshoot when problems arise. (there will be issues that come up-as with any new build)

Secondly, hire a reputible home inspector. Preferrably ASHI conforming or an engineer that specializes in residential inspections. They can inspect through the 4 major phases of construction. Foundation, framing, at drywall installation and a final inspection. Most consumers rely on the local building inspectors which is a big mistake.

Lastly, visit the site a few times a week if able. If you notice something that looks incorrect, make note of it and inform your agent and the construction superintendent.

Best of luck with the building process,
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Oct 5, 2008
Nancy,

Centex is a recognized and well established company that has stood the test of time. We have sold the Centex product and find our customers to be happy with both their home and the community.

But the reality is you will always be able to find something that was a problem. It has been our experience that Centex goes out of their way to make sure their customers are satisfied.

The "Eckler Team"
Kerry, , Richmond, VA
Sat Oct 4, 2008
I have been fighting Centex homes on warranty work since I moved in to my new home 10 months ago. I know I will never purchase a home from Centex again, and it seems I am joined my most of my neighbors on this sentiment. Hope you didn't buy that house!!!
sdgzx2, Home Buyer, Ypsilanti, MI
Sun May 21, 2017
Never buy a centex home. Its cheap and has lots of problems. They planted a Maple in front of my house and its lifting my sidewalk which was poured without any stone base and now all the cement everywhere is sinking. The roots are headed toward my basement and my association wont let me remove the tree. They want me to pour all new cement with the proper under layment of stones. Everything they used in this house started to fall apart about a year after the build and thats all you get it is a year warranty. The windows leak, the basement leaks and there in hardly any insulation in the attic. DO NOT BUY!!!!!
Rctocm, Home Buyer, Bonita Springs, FL
Fri Apr 7, 2017
Realtors say: Centex is just fine! Like every other builder!

Actual owners say: Centex is a nightmare!

Who are you going to believe; a salesperson or actual owners?

Thanks. Centex is on the list of homes I am looking at.
Bhipsher, Home Buyer, Bonita Springs, FL
Mon Jul 20, 2015
I purchased a Centex home in Columbus, Ohio. Two other identical homes were also built on my street. About 8 years into our warranty we all three discovered that our porch columns were rotting - some worse than others. Centex builders put trim boards in direct contact with the concrete porch, causing wicking into the column which caused the columns to rot from the inside out.
My two neighbors were lucky, Centex agreed to fix their porch columns. When I contacted Centex they said I could not get a remedy until I proved the rotting existed (which would mean I needed to disassemble my porch in the middle of winter). I sent them pictures which clearly showed rusting nails and wood that was falling apart - but they said this was not good enough. So this summer it was clear the boards were rotting off, I had to do something, so I disassembled my porch - it was a safety issue. The workmanship was silly - Centex builders (now managed by Pulte warranty) placed multiple fiberboard trim boards directly on the concrete causing massive wicking and rot - I contacted Centex and they said I missed my warranty window by 3 months and they have refused to help me. I can take the blame for not being more persistant the first time around... but I am certainly upset that a company who has clear evidence of poor workmanship would hide behind a warranty and not take care of their customer. I would recommend against buying from such companies.
Lisa Foster, Agent, Orlando, FL
Wed Apr 2, 2014
This question brings up a very important reminder for buyers who decide to purchase a new home..... home inspections are for your protection and worth the few hundred dollar investment.
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Realtor Tobias is absolutely correct, NEVER, EVER close on a newly constructed home without at least a final full inspection by a highly experienced and critical home inspector. I've seen new homes with rotten structural beams, incorrect engineering on structures, significant defects. One of the defects would have cost that homeowner about $50k to correct.

Better to have a multi stage inspection at each stage of the building process. It will keep the builder on their toes so they don't take short cuts and deliver a possibly inferior house.

You can find a competent Home Inspector on http://www.Ashi.org or pay Angie's List to find good ones, too.
Nina Link, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Thu Feb 17, 2011
I am a full-time Broker Associate and have sold many Centex/Pulte homes in SW Florida - many of which are new construction. The satisfaction with the communities and homes that I have sold has been overwhelmingly positive. While nothing is perfect, my clients have always been happy with the customer service they have received after their purchase. I understand that each division is different but can tell you that the SW Florida division has nice product!!
Web Reference:  http://www.Ninalink.com
Marc Comisar, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Sun Jul 19, 2009
We do not have basements here......Shady agents is a bit of a pop shot don't ya think? Codes are different and people vary from area to area. This buyer is looking in our area and my experience with their homes (extensive) in this area is nothing but positive.

Sorry of your experience with "shady" agents. I am a homebuyer as well as an agent.....I am also a fulltime agent not a licensed part timer.
Nina Link, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Wed Oct 15, 2008
I have been doing business with Centex for some time now and have never had an issue. My buyers have all been very happy with the construction and building of their new home. As someone said earlier, you will always be able to find something - nothing is perfect. I have not heard anything negative regarding their warranty or repair. My most recent buyer said that their was a small issue with the way his front door was installed and Centex came out immediately, He was quite impressed. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let me know. My website is listed here and I'll be happy to help you.
Web Reference:  http://www.NinaLink.com
Kerry, , Richmond, VA
Sun Oct 5, 2008
Before the housing crisis, Centex was a recognized and established company which is why we purchased our home through them. However, in the Richmond Virginia area something happened resulting in a great many poorly built homes. Shortly after our home started to be built, the company began downsizing the staff here, primarily in the area of supervision. The contractors did what they wanted, cut corners and got away with it. Centex constantly put the wrong upgrades such as lighting, doors, stairs, hardwood floors, the list goes on and on. My wife and I ended up managing the project through constant complaints to get the house done correctly. Closing day resulted in a rush to finish the job, and from that day on, we've been fighting (10 months now) to get the house to the point where it should have been at closing. We are going to hire a home inspector, and I thank you Alma for the web link.
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Sun Oct 5, 2008
Hi Nancy,

I cannot overemphasize the importance of paying for a multi-stage home inspection should you decide to build with "any" builder. If the property is already completed it is also crucial to hire an experienced, ASHI home inspector. Go to http://www.ashi.org and you can find one that specialized in your area.

I recently sold a Centex home that actually had serious structural problems and fortunately the owner was within the 10 year structural warranty coverage. It took about 2 months and many many calls to get it corrected and my Seller lost his buyer and had to accept a lower sale price as a result. The more important reason to have an inspection is to protect your family from builder errors. Plus I believe the construction workers may pay more attention to details if they know they will have an independent inspector review their work.

Hope this helps.

Alma
Alma Rose Kee, P.A.
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
813.244.9898
Gabe Mellein, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Thu Jul 24, 2008
Nancy,

I have sold a lot of Centex homes in Southwest Florida over the last couple of years. They are one of the better, more respected builders in the area. I actually know of some phenomial deals in the area through centex, since I have developed so many realtionships with them directly. I'd be glad to share them with you. Please feel free to contact me, my website is below.
Web Reference:  http://www.gabemellein.com
Ad. Wonderful.
Flag Fri Apr 7, 2017
Cathryn Blai…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Tue Jul 8, 2008
New Home construction can be either heavenly bliss or a nightmare. It depends on the people who you are dealing with. I started out in the mortgage business doing construction to perm loans, but NOT until I took a course on how to do it. You always want to deal with knowledgable people when you go forward in any venture. I have always had very smooth closings and very happy clients, but then, I only recommend solid builders and I go with lenders I can depend on that know their business.

Centex homes are excellent builders. I have lived in this area for over 8 years and I have not heard or read anything bad about them. If you want great service, contact Denise Kramer at Centex Homes. She is awesome and very knowledgable. Her number is 239-849-2123. She can answer ANY questions you may have.
Cathryn Blair-Bennett
Lic. Realtor, Lic. Mortgage Broker
First Capital lending
239-277-9244 Ext. 212
Terra Anders…, , Fort Myers, FL
Wed Apr 23, 2008
You are very smart to do your research. My customers have had great experiences with Centex homes. They seem to be very willing to make your house just as you would like it... within reason. As with all builders you have to be on top of them and you need someone who represents you alone (remember the builders agent is working in the best interest of the builder). Hope that helps!
Terra Anderson
Southwest Florida's Family Realtor
Century 21 Sunbelt
239-590-5731
http://www.welcomehomefortmyers.com
Marc Comisar, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Tue Apr 8, 2008
My experience has been very good with Centex and other builders. You can run into some snags along the way the same way you can in any other transaction but in general my experience has been positive. I have sold quite a few Centex homes recently as they have been very well priced and offer great floor plans. Let me know if you want any extra info from an outside source on any of their other communities.
Another ad. How wonderful.
Flag Fri Apr 7, 2017