Home Buying in Anthem>Question Details

Anthemhopeful, Home Buyer in Anthem, AZ

I am planning a move from Washington State. Here, 2 story homes are the standard. What are the pro's and con's on a 2 story?

Asked by Anthemhopeful, Anthem, AZ Sun Apr 22, 2012

Chris & Michelle Spalding’s answer
I echo everyone else's sentiment and just want to add that on the cooling front, the design of the home is key. We fell in love with our property because it had a dramatic staircase and felt open and airy with both the family room and the dining room open to the second story.

This was before we had small children and went through our first summer.

Two cons to this design have proven to be the cost of heating and cooling, as everyone has already mentioned. As well as noise. It travels, as you well know, and thus we can hear everything the boys are doing, including getting out of bed in the morning directly above our Master bedroom.

The layout and design as well as a house's exposure and where the windows are located are fundamental when it comes to COOLING here in the Sonoran desert, so just keep that in mind regardless of one story or two story when you start on your property search.

Good luck on your house hunt, Anthem is a fabulous community!

Chris Spalding
Realty One Group
(602) 312-7237
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 16, 2012
If you don't have any disabilities, a two story home is great because it usually separates general living quarters from bedrooms and the first floor usually has a very spacious look.
Some retirees prefer 1 story because they can develop issues with stairs as they get older.

Me I find 2 story works just fine. As for cooling, I just have ceiling fans and don't find it too hard. Yes the AC bills are a lot higher in the summer months, but it in the winter you need practically no gas for heat, and I find that balances out over the year. My utilities were higher overall living in the northeast.
The answers below share some good information for you.

A Two Story has a smaller footprint on the lot than a single level of similar square foot.

Lifestyle? Separate the bedrooms from the living area? Laundry: up or down?

In the Phoenix market the climate is hot, so cooling is our highest demand utility. Heat rises so the upstairs in a 2 story tends to run warmer than the lower level. Depending on the quality of construction level we are in some of the 2 stories will have 2 complete HVAC systems, one upstairs and one down. Large homes may have more than 2, I just closed one that had 5 complete units.

Anthem is a great area to live!! Love it!!

Depending on how it is built two stories can cost more to cool in the summer. It gets pretty hot here! Make sure where ever you move to check the building concerns of that area. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Have a GREAT evening!

Vivien L Biggs PLC
Prudential Arizona Properties

Check MLS for homes on my website
Price per square foot is less on the 2 story versus a single story home.
The main pros would be generally more of a yard compared to a single story on the same size lot, and in many cases, a little less cost per square foot. The Only real cons would be stairs, possibly higher cooling bills (though not necessarily) and the wonderful sound of children jumping up and down on the floor above you!

Have you been to Anthem? I've lived here 12 years and love it!