I am moving to Charlotte soon from Cincinnati. My wife and I are early 30's and want to be in a safe area in the city below $150k. Any advice?

Asked by Jaym, Charlotte, NC Mon Dec 21, 2009

Answers

12
Yolanda Hayes, Agent, Winston Salem, NC
Thu Dec 24, 2009
Hey Jaym!! I'm a fellow Cincinnatian as well (Forest Park)...I went to Winton Woods High School class of 1995!!

I relocated to Charlotte, NC 7 yrs ago not having 1 friend or a job but I can tell you that it was the best decision I've ever made. First I want to give you kudos for taking the step to relocate to a new city and welcome you to the Queen City of North Carolina. Realtors are not able to "steer" you to a specific area but I can tell you what I did that helped me decide. I visted Charlotte on 4 different occasions and got a hotel in a different area each time, drove around during the day AND night because after work hours you'd want to know the atmoshere of a neighborhood. I selected the South area of Charlotte because it was just right for ME and you would want to make the decision of what area is the right fit for YOU and your family. So if you've already taken a trip to Charlotte and have an idea of an area that you may be interested in but need more information, I'd be more that happy to assist.

Here is a link for Community Crime: http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Prevent+Crime/Crime…

If you like to contact me, please feel free: yourcharlotterealtor@gmail.com or direct line: 704-839-6005

I wish you the best of luck and Happy Holidays!!
James Gordon…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Mon Dec 21, 2009
Jaym the snow gettting to you or the national rating that was given to Over-The-Rhine?
Judith Dowda…, Agent, Cornelius, NC
Mon Dec 21, 2009
Chalotte is a large area and I would need to know what you needto be close to. Work? School?
Also what type of home are you looking for? Condo, townhome, single family?

Your price point is affordable in many of the Charlotte neighborhoods. If you would like some help, I can mail you some information on the Charlotte area as well as a First Time Homeowners guide.

You can reach me through my website. Good luck with your move. You will love it here.

Judy
Lexie Longst…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Dec 21, 2009
Hey Jaym,

You'll love Charlotte! I have lots of clients that have moved here from Ohio and they all really love it. There are lots of choices of neighborhoods for you... in safe areas, it just really depends on what you like in a house and what you want in a neighborhood. If you want to be close to "uptown" or "Center City" there are some great areas to look at. If you want to be in a more suburban location... there are probably even more choices... but the drive might be longer, depending on where you are working.
Check out Charlotte's best neighborhood blog, http://www.HipHoods.com. It gives you detailed information on a lot of neighborhoods, price ranges and will give you a feel for a lot of the area. You should also check out our neighborhood videos at http://www.LexieLongstreet.com, or http://www.CenterCitySavvy.com .
Let me know if I can recommend some specific neighborhoods.... based on your likes and dislikes... old, or newer house, big or small yard, townhouse or condo ... near the lightrail, etc. I like to say there is something for everyone in Charlotte... at almost every price range.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Dec 21, 2009
If you are not familiar with the area, now is the time to explore--drive around neighborhoods to get a sense of belonging, check out shops, dine at a local eatery, look at anything that is of importance to you, etc.--as far as safety is concerned, stop by the local police police departments and ask away, they'll gladly answer your questions and you'll be happy to have heard the information firsthand--Fair Housing Laws prohibit a real estate professionals from enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods--do your own homework first.
Scott Russo, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Dec 21, 2009
Congrats on making the move to the Charlotte area!

The McDevitt Agency is a boutique firm of top producing brokers specializing in Center City and its popular surrounding neighborhoods. Get insider access into the best property deals and reductions in Charlotte's Urban core.

There are many trendy and hip neighborhoods for you to consider that will meet your defined criteria as other agents point out. You will have a lot of options in the sub $150K range.

Save your time ringing in the new year, without chasing property info from site to site.

If you'd like, I can set up a website dedicated to your personal search. The site will help you get a feel for what you can purchase in the Uptown market sectors as you are in the "info gathering" stage. It will email you suitable properties as soon as they hit market so you can armed with current data for your next visit.

I am an Urban core property specialist and know together we will locate a great opportunity. When do you plan to be in town next? We can meet to get a feel for some neighborhoods/areas you find of interest.

Please take the time to visit my personal website below to learn more about the innovative buyer services I can provide and provide me with more details into your perfect property. I know you will find my knowledge base of the Uptown market sectors of value and I look forward to hearing from you. Let me know how I can further assist.

Soon,
Scott

Scott Russo
Buyer Consultant
Broker- Realtor
The McDevitt Agency
704.421.0706 direct/text
http://www.UptownEvolution.com
Brandi Morris, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Dec 21, 2009
Hi Jaym,

Congratulations on your impending move! I moved to Charlotte 10 years ago and never looked back. And funny enough, I am orignally from Cincinnati and still have family all over the city - from Mariemont to Delhi to Convington (though I know Convington isn't really Cincy).

Like the other agents have said, Charlotte has some GREAT GREAT neighborhoods in that price point. How soon are you looking to move? Let me know what specific information I can provide you and I would be happy to pull up specific homes based on your wants (such as older home, newer home, number of bedrooms, etc.)

Brandi
---

Brandi Morris
NC Real Estate Broker/Realtor®
Ivy Hill Realty
704.621.1065 (p)
704.973.9606 (f)
Web Reference:  http://www.IvyHillRealty.com
Daniele Summ…, , Charlotte, NC
Mon Dec 21, 2009
That's a very popular price point right now and there are several choices.

First let me welcome you to Charlotte! I relocated here about 5 years ago from New Englad and you'll LOVE the winters here... not so windy. (smile) Since Realtors are really not supposed to direct you to a particular neighborhood (It's called Steering) I recommend you visit a few sites to start your own research:

http://www.osbm.state.nc.us/ncosbm/facts_and_figures/socioec…

this one is the Mecklenburg Quality of life study. I used it extensivly when I moved here. it'll outline the neighborhoods that are Stable, Transitioning ,Challenged, and any non-residential areas.

Then I would pull up this site:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Neighborhood+Dev/Sustain…

This is the NC census and Survey data page. You'll find demographic information to further help you choose and area that will be right for you and your family.

When your ready to narrow it down a little more, please send me a note and I'll assist you in your search to find the perfect home. I specialize in out of state relocation.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Daniele Summerfield
Wilkinson & Associates
Don Anthony, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Dec 21, 2009
Jaym,

First, I want to welcome you to Charlotte! It's a great town, so I hope you like it here.

Second, there are lots of safe areas in the Charlotte Region to choose from. I'd be happy to have one of my buyer's agents who specialize in finding the right home for our clients to help you with your search to find the perfect home for you. We can search the MLS and match up your needs with what is available.

Please contact us at your convenience and we can set you up with a free search that is customized to your needs.

Merry Christmas!

- Don
Owner / Broker
Don Anthony Realty
http://www.DonAnthonyRealty.com
704-644-1467
April Crowder, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Dec 21, 2009
As Realtors, we are not allowed to talk about crime statsitics and in fact, most Realtors do not even know the crime statistics. You can go to http://www.charmeck.org and go to the sheriff's website. You can also go to Charlotte.com, which is the website for The Charlotte Observer, and there is usually a crime statistic link there. I am a Certified Relcoation Specialist and have helped many couples like you move to the Charlotte area over the years. I would be happy to help you and your wife with a home purchase here. If you would like me to send you a relocation package, please contact me.

April Crowder
Coldwell Banker United, Realtors
abc@coldwellbanker.com
704-533-2220
Tony Orefice, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Dec 21, 2009
Hi Jaym,
Give me a call tomorrow morning. We can discuss your wants and needs and set up a search for you. I would be happy to do this for you.

Tony Orefice
980-254-7263
Scott Lindsl…, , Charlotte, NC
Mon Dec 21, 2009
There are great neighborhoods all over the city where you can find homes and condos in that price range. There are uptown condos in that price range, suburban homes, and great bungalows and brick ranches close to uptown. All of these are in areas that I'm certain most would consider quite safe. It really depends on where you want to be, in town, out of town, in the middle -- how much house or condo you want -- generally the further out you go the more Square Footage you'll get for your money. Do you want to be close to where you'll be working, do you want to be able to walk to dining, cafes, shopping...all of these and more will factor in for choosing the right spot in Charlotte for you, but the good news is you'll have a lot to choose from.