Home Buying in Riverside>Question Details

Robert Earle, Home Buyer in Corona, CA

I am looking to by a property in Riverside CA near to Lake Mathews but recent bush fires have made me a little apprehensive about completing the sale

Asked by Robert Earle, Corona, CA Sat Jun 9, 2012

Can anyone give information about the safety of this are with regards to bush fires?

Good area. Desirable rental market. Make sure you have insurance and the property is prepared for such catastrophe.
Where exactly are you looking? What neighborhoods? That would help me in answering the question more thoroughly.

With the hills and dry arid area, comes the danger of fire. It appears you've already received good advice so I will add this. We have the best firefighters in the area and a rapid response from other municipalities to help whenever a fire does break out.

Are you working with a local Realtor? He or She can help navigate you through the benefits and pitfalls associated with the individual areas you're interested in. If you're not working with a Realtor, I suggest you get one right away. With interest rates the lowest ever and prices on the climb, NOW is the time to buy! The FIRST and foremost step in purchasing a home is to get with a Realtor. Check with friends and family to see if they can refer someone to you or research sites, such as this one to find a good professional Realtor. Your SECOND step is to get pre-qualified for a loan. AFTER you find a Realtor, he or she will have you meet with the lender that he or she uses regularly. This is important. Please let me know if I can help or if you have any more questions.

Ray Wright
Not sure I understand. Are you asking if you should buy? Or asking what can be done to make that home more protected from fire? or asking if there may be similar style homes that may not be in areas with a lot of fuel for fire?

Your insurance coverage may be more...possibly double that of other homes.
That's a very hilly and arid area. As with any such areas it has it's fire threat. The Fire Department has requirements about brush being cleared 100' from any structure on your property. . You should check with the local fire department to obtain a history of fires in that area as I am sure they will be happy to help you and you will get the information directly from the source making you feel better about your decision to purchase.
I've sold homes in that area and you just can't beat some of the beautiful views, the rural feel and the wonderful quality of life there.

Good Luck,
Cindy Vedder
Prudential California Realty
It's always something that would be a concern but not any worse than any other local environmental threat. This brush fire was never a direct threat to homes. In real estate we are required to get a natural hazard disclosure which tells you of any fire, earthquake or other local hazard either environmental or manmade. I live near Lake Perris and since we are less than 600 feet from the brush we are in a higher fire danger area. Certain insurance companies will not carry the insurance that close. It's just good to be aware and prepared. Good luck!