Home Buying in Pacifica>Question Details

Amoxie1, Home Buyer in Pacifica, CA

I am looking to buy my first home in Pacifica and my intention is to find a property in which I can rent out a portion of the home as an In Law unit.

Asked by Amoxie1, Pacifica, CA Tue Oct 1, 2013

My question is should I be looking for a property that is already constructed with an In Law unit or should I renovate a property and create an in law unit. Also, what should my biggest concerns be with buying a property with the intention of renting a portion of it out?

Have you considered what you will do when it comes to financing for you new home? Before you start looking for homes I strongly recommend you get pre-approved. This is important because it gives you an idea of the price range you can afford. Also, offers from individuals with pre-approvals are taken much more seriously. I am a lender based out of California and I have done plenty of loan throughout the state. I would be glad to speak with you to help you get the loan you need so feel free to contact me. Good Luck! Brian Nguyen Sr. Mortgage Banker NMLS # 659743 Phone: 949.667.2887 brian.nguyen@nafinc.com
The easiest would be to find an existing home with the right floor plan or a dulplex. You might not be able to do it legally with certain homes. Make sure you work with a knowledegable Realtor who can walk you through your options.

Tap http://www.DavidTapper.com http://www.TeamTapper.com
It would be much easier to find one already like this. A real estate agent would be very useful during this process with questions like this. Do you have a real estate agent? Have you been pre-approved for a purchase loan? These are the first two steps in the buying process.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer

The best way is to look for a duplex or see a floor plan which can be also divided in to 2 separate portion as well. They are few options out there.

If you like to see some listing with that profile feel free to contact me and will work out the details.

Jain Riahab
RE/MAX Active Realty.
Short Sale And Foreclosure Resource
Phone: (510) 676-4770
Hi Amoxie

Pacifica has plenty of properties where an in-law could easily be created without major construction. Would you be renting the space to a family member or friend or would you be doing something like placing an add on Craigslist?
add on CL
Flag Tue Oct 1, 2013
Hi Amoxie,
The first concern and question you need to ask yourself is - Do you want to be a landlord and deal with tenants? You can have problems with tenants and need to be diligent about selecting the right individual by looking at income, credit, etc. Tenants will not always take care of a property as well as a homeowner, so collecting the right security deposit is important too.

As for the property, probably most economical to find one that is already done rather than remodeling or adding on. You also need to be aware that each city has restrictions on rentals of in laws and should check with the city prior to purchasing a place with an in law as the true term of an in law is for relatives, usually elderly parents.

A duplex or other multi unit is also a good option, though they tend to be more in neighborhoods that have more rentals, than single family homes.

There are also many things to consider and be aware of in respect to getting a loan for these properties as it is difficult to get loans on properties with unpermitted work (I.e. - kitchens and.baths).

Feel free to call me to discuss your options. I would be more than happy to meet with you in person and show you some potential properties. You also need to know that inventory on these types of properties is lower than with condos or single family homes, so the search for the right place for you may take longer.

Hope this help.

Brandon Denman - Realtor
BRE # 01378663
Pacific Coast Real Estate
650-303-0880 cell
Most in-law units in Pacifica are not permitted as a rental unit. Most are located in areas zoned for single family homes. The big issue for a legal second unit is sufficient parking. IN some situations the space is legal space but not a second unit. Yes, many are rented out but the income is always at risk that the city makes you take the unit out. A kitchen is the big deciding factor. Also for your knowledge the courts will not help you collect rent if the tenant does not pay rent. You might ask how does the city find out. A neighbor you piss off is all you need. One phone call is all it takes. Renting to extended family is more acceptable.
If you have not changed your mind, if I was you, I would lean towards homes already set up with a separate entrance. But their are many homes built on hills that have the space but not built out. That would be my second choice. You should look for duplexes because your lender will calculate some of the income in qualifying.your loan.
Flag Tue Oct 1, 2013