I am looking to buy a house but not sure when?

Asked by Trish W, Suffolk County, NY Fri Aug 10, 2012

I am looking to buy a house but how do I know when is the right time? My house is still on the market and I am listing it by myself. I was not happy with my past agent. When should I start to look for my new home? Please help...

Answers

4
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Mon Aug 20, 2012
Well, playing with your asset will probably result in your losing a ton of money and time, not to mention frustration and emotional stress. If you don't trust agents, because you had one bad experience, why are you asking us for advice?
Thomas Brady, Agent, Plainview, NY
Fri Aug 10, 2012
Hi Trish, you need to list it with an agent and get it sold, just bacause one agent was a dud doesn't mean all of us are. You should have an agent come to your home, they will be better able to answer your questions after having spoken to you and seeing your home. Only after seeing your home, checking the pricing, checking local area statistics etc. will an agent be able to give you an educated opinion on how long it should take to sell your home. Some areas sell much quicker than others, if you are in an area with very little DOM average (days on the market) and your price is proper, you would be able to look sooner than if you are in an area with very high DOM ave and your price isn't compelling. Have three agents stop by and give you free CMA's, this will allow you to better gauge your pricing and you should find one that you can confidently list with and get it sold. I wouldn't start looking now as over 80% of FSBO's eventually list with a realtor. If you look too early you may find your dream home but either not be able to buy it because yours hasn't sold, or you'll give away a lot of profit on your home just to get the new one. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Thank you
Tom
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Fri Aug 10, 2012
I would keep an eye on homes and when you get a good offer on your house then you can make a non-contingent offer on another house.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Aug 10, 2012
Buy when you are ready to buy and need to buy....be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.