I am looking home in the range of $600K. Is it worth to buy a townhome with a high HOA in Mission school?

Asked by Genelia, Fremont, CA Thu May 7, 2009

district or should i consider buying a single family or new town home in Warm Springs area. I am considering good school district for middle and high school. Pls share your thoughts.

Answers

7
Dawn Rivera, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu May 7, 2009
Hi Genelia, I live in fremont and the Irvington school areas are just as good as Mission. Mission may have slightly higher scores, but from conversations I have had with other parents, Irvington is a better all aroung school. I have talked to people who have bought twonhomes in the mission school area and did not think it was worth it. I am sure some people think it is worth it. The Irvington high school has the second best scores in fremont, right behind Mission. South Fremont, the Wiebel area and Warm Springs all go to Irvington high. There are many homes in the 600,000 range where you can have your children go to very good schools in fremont. In my opinion it is a better investment to buy a Single Family over a townhome for the simple reason with a townhome you do not own the land. Also you have the HOA you mentioned.....Good Luck, Dawn
Charo Bhatt, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sun May 10, 2009
Hi Genelia,

You have raised a great question that is of a concern of many home buyers/parents

I would ask you this question for brain storming...

• What is your top notch priority, the school dist? If the answer is yes…then buy a home in mission school dist.
• Do you like to live in a new single family home? If the answer is yes then buy a new home in Warmspring (I believe you are thinking of KB home? KB homes have HOA dues even in single family homes)

As far as the equity/future value, you will get good return on your investment in good school zoned home. Mission district homes have always maintained their values.

On the other hand, when your children are middle school and high school age, in my opinion children's outcome depends a lot on parental support and supervision too. No matter where the children are going, with parents support and understanding they can shine out anywhere. I am a parent too, so I expressed my feeling about it. Thinking on this line, you can have a single family, a new home of your choice and live your life in a spacious home rather than a small town home. After all, every $70(est.) equal 10K (est.) can be added to the price of the townhouse in calculations.

Good luck to you,

Charo Bhatt
510-381-2105
wwwl.HomesByCharo.com
CharoBhatt@gmail.com
Erica Starkey, Agent, Danville, CA
Thu May 7, 2009
Genelia,
It would certainly depend on what the HOA is. Sometimes the HOAs are so high that it actually makes more sense to find a single family home. If you're looking at staying in Fremont you can't beat the schools in Mission SJ. Glenmoor is another area with really good schools and it is a really family oriented community. That might be something you want to consider and it's not far from Mission. Warm Springs is nice, but if you're going for family oriented community I'd start with those two first. I was in Fremont yesterday showing houses and there are some nice things on the market.

There are certainly other areas on the 680 corridor that have great schools and might be more affordable. I would be happy to help you in your search.

Erica

Erica Jones Starkey
Broker, Co-Founder
JSCA Real Estate Group
Providing Superior Solutions for Your Individual Real Estate Needs
http://www.JSCArealty.com
office: 925.989.1613
fax: 925.905.2417
Web Reference:  http://www.jscarealty.com
Sunil Sethi, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu May 7, 2009
before you spend $600k to buy a townhome in Mission, do a rent vs. buy comparison and see what makes more financial sense. Also if your focus is great schools, also consider San Ramon, Pleasanton, and Dublin. These area more API per the sqft/dollar than you get in Fremont's Mission or Irvingotn areas.

Good luck on your hunt!
Web Reference:  http://sunilsethi.com/
Lubna Sheikh, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu May 7, 2009
Genelia, Historically in Fremont, single family homes appreciate more than town homes. How old are your kids? If you are comforatable to call me please do and I can talk to you in more detail.....having a hard time writing my different opinions down. 510 882 6729
Genelia, Home Buyer, Fremont, CA
Thu May 7, 2009
TH is 20 or 30 years old and HOA is 300 in Mission. Should I go for it at a 600K price or look for a new TH or a single family in Warm Springs(Irvington high)?
Lubna Sheikh, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu May 7, 2009
Genelia,
How high is the HOA? there are not many town homes in the Mission School District . I saw some homes that are in the low 700k range in the mission school district if that is what you want. Warm springs goes to Irvington high, which is the 2nd best rated school in Fremontl. My older kid graduated from Mission and my younger went to Irvington. Just for FYI, the younger one did better in High School and managed to get into a good college