I am looking for a home in Tempe or Southern Scottsdale. I will be going to ASU and renting out the other

Asked by Aaron, Los Angeles, CA Mon Mar 31, 2008

three rooms to other college students. I need something that is close to campus for my commute and roommates. Although, after I graduate in four years, I hope the market will have recovered and I can resell the property for a profit. When reselling, which is a better location to be in... Tempe or South Scottsdale (Scottsdale Flatts)? Thanks!

Answers

7
Roberto Ribas, , Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Jul 23, 2008
I live in Tempe, but besides that personal bias, I think Tempe will win handsdown. SOME areas of south scottsdale are nice, but many others not so much. Plus, Tempe now has the Orbit shuttle. I can ride the orbit shuttle for free from my home to ASU, or Mill avenue, a HUGE plus. Not to mention ASU is an easy bike ride from most parts of Tempe. Feel free to contact me for more info.
Mike Martell, , Glendale, AZ
Thu Apr 3, 2008
Sounds like most of your concerns were answered by other agent and I will agree as an Arizona Native that both areas are good. ASU does bring students and alot of them rent or purchase homes. The only thing I have not seen is if you were pre approved. I am a Realtor and a mortgage broker so I can help you structure the loan and get aproved before buying.
I just got an email today about a 4 unit with a pre approved short sale in Tempe close to campus.
Sal J. Giorl…, , Phoenix, AZ
Mon Mar 31, 2008
Hi Aaron,

I personally love South Scottsdale (live there myself) and am very familiar with the area. To answer your question, both cities will have a great resale value for the exact same reason you are looking to buy there…the home is close to ASU! A Scottsdale address is a little further away from the school, but not by much, and future potential buyers may like to see the name “Scottsdale” in their address, while Tempe is as close as you can get to fully immerse yourself in the ASU atmosphere. I would also like to say that I highly doubt you could go wrong in this market if you are looking to hold on to the home for at least four years.

If you have any questions, you can always contact me.
Cell: (480) 628-3843
Email: Sal@SalmarRealty.com

Have a good one!

~Sal
Web Reference:  http://www.SalmarRealty.com
Temporarily…, , Tempe, AZ
Mon Mar 31, 2008
I live in Tempe and own 3 rental properties around town. I would be glad to help you. Generally, I think Tempe is better for resale value than South Scottsdale, although there is an effort to redevelop that area. As Patrick noted, there are several possibilities to look at that can be found in the MLS. I just need your specific price range, and discuss other concerns you may have about what you want in a home. As also mentioned, getting pre-qualified for a loan should be your first step, then we can find homes that will work for you.
Mr.P, , Arizona
Mon Mar 31, 2008
Hey Aaron,
Both areas or at least an easy commute to ASU are in above average demand.

In my opinion both areas will fair well for resale. What is in demand now ( in this Market ), will be your best indicator for the future.

In that Area there are currently 70, 4 bedroom single family homes priced from 200K to 400K

There are a handfull of Lender Owned homes, in fair condition. Once you go west of 40th there is a large selection to choose from.

This is an Interactive map with all the homes for sale http://www.ITSRealEstateAZ.com
You will NOT be required to register.

If you would like to tour any of these homes, or have any questions give me a call or email
Patrick mahony
480-543-9899

The Lakes in Tempe, a little far south for you ( Maybe) have two great 4 bedrooms priced in the low 300,000

Good Luck
Hi, , Virginia
Mon Mar 31, 2008
you should try to get a loan first
if they tell you no way
its ok
you are probably not ready for home ownership

anyways

good luck
David Dion, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Mon Mar 31, 2008
Just our opinion... The southern part of Scottsdale is only Scottsdale by name, meaning there is a big difference between the Scottsdale some expect and this part. I would go with Tempe.

Of course we would love the opportunity to help you. It would be great if you visited our website and gave us a call. We also have a Tempe site at http://www.eTempeArizona.com for your use.

On a side note, are you going to be attending ASU main, or can you attend ASU East???