I am looking at a gorgeous foreclosure on two acres. House is in great shape. The garage is in great shape too, except the ground seems to have

Asked by Toni Shirk, Smyrna, GA Sat Apr 23, 2011

settled and now the right side of the garage is sitting in mid-air. About a third of the floor has cracked in two and sunken down. There are no cracks in the structure at this point, but I am guesstimating that this could be expensive. Just trying to get an idea of how expensive prior to making an offer.

Answers

5
davidwbrower, , Woodstock, GA
Sat Apr 23, 2011
Toni,

You get what you pay for, especially when it comes to advice. A licensed contractor and/or structural engineer is the person with whom you should be consulting. At worst, you need to dole out the $300-$400 for a building inspection so you know the cost of repair in order to determine your final sale price. You are making a large financial purchase. Getting an inspection could save you thousands of dollars.
Marie Souza…, Agent, Centerville, MA
Sat Apr 23, 2011
Hi Toni - Get a professional there for an estimate. This is not the type of this you want to guess the cost of.
The Marie Souza team - Top Selling on Cape Cod
Phone: 508-790-2000
info@mariesouzateam.com
Mike Price, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Sat Dec 17, 2011
Toni,

I would get a licensed structural engineer to consult with on this particular situation. It is going to cost you somewhere between $300-$500 for starters to get one out there but it is a small price to pay up front to ensure that you know what you are getting into and could save you thousands of dollars in the long run.

Mike Price
Keller Williams
pricesellsatl@kw.com
678-559-7826
Robert A Whi…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Sat Apr 23, 2011
Hi Toni,

All these professionals have given you sound advice - you want someone who knows what they are doing to help you - you do not want to assume anything with an issue like this. Even though it looks major, it could be no big deal - or it could be evidence of serious mistakes during constructon that are only the "tip of the ice berg" so to speak for things to come.

I have significant experience diagnosing building structures for over 20 years, including specifying repairs for building defects alone and in conjunction with proven experts I work with such as structural and geotechnical engineers. I do not charge my real estate clients for any of the extra service I provide such as this type consulting. It could be worth moving forward with the right type of engineer based on conditions and causation, or it might be a blatantly serious and costly problem where my best advice to you would be to run from this property - obviouly I would have to see it to give you more insight.

If you think you could benefit from the experience of a Broker/Owner who is also an experienced ICC Code Certified Building Inspection Expert, don't hesitate to contact me to discuss this property further.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner - Realtor
Professional Buyers Broker
Relocation Expert
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspection Expert
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
877-787-7167
“Incomparable Services, Protections, & Due Diligence…
For Every Client I Represent!"
Michael Hamm…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Sat Apr 23, 2011
Ditto the wisdom of the Souza team, Toni. It could be relatively inexpensive to repair or it might be unrepairable. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.SellsRealty.org