I am interested to purchase a house in the east foothill just east of fleming st in the Alum Rock area, Is

Asked by John Burk, Sunnyvale, CA Fri May 23, 2008

this a safe area? How are the freeways during peak hours?
I 'll apprreciate any feedback.

John.

Answers

6
Charles Coac…, , San Jose, CA
Fri May 23, 2008
John,
I have lived in the East Valley and Evergreen areas for over 25 years. I owned a home on Decker Way which is just west of Fleming and we were surrounded by great neighbors. Fleming area has a lot of great homes and you are very close to the prestigious San Jose Country Club. I enjoy the area and have recenty put an offer in on a home, just west of Fleming. I feel you get the most bang for your buck and less of that hustle and bustle feeling in the hills of East Valley. I truly believe that people are missing out by not looking more closely at living in this area.
As far as traffic, you do have a backup in the morning and the evening, but it is nothing compared to our other major slowdowns in the south bay.
If you really want to get the scoop on the Alum Rock area and the foothills, just stop in at Mario's Barbershop on Alum Rock and the guys will give you the complete lowdown!
I wish you the best on your purchase and good job thinking out of the box on the underappreciated and under-valued area.
Have a great weekend!

Charles
Trisha Motter, Agent, San Jose, CA
Fri May 23, 2008
Hello John,

You have already received some good information, but I would like to add something. In general San Jose as a hole has had a rise in vehicle theft and burglary. Near Fleming st. the crime dwindles down a bit. Also Alum Rock has more geologic activity. You have the Howard, Calaveras, and Fremont fault zones interconnect in that area.

Web Reference:  http://www.TrishaMotter.com
Karen Negrete…, , The Santa Clara Valley
Fri May 23, 2008
Hi John,

I've been a resident of the east foothills for almost 5 years. I live in the East Highlands, just up Alum Rock from the area you're looking at and I wouldn't live anywhere else. We're lacking the good restaurants and shopping but I'd trade that any day for what you can get for your money not to mention spectacular views.

I've always felt safe in my neighborhood although just recently there's been some gang activity reported in the McKee area. This is a very tight knit group of people and residents are very proactive not only in keeping one another informed of unwanted activity but also having the Police/Sheriff's Dept attend neighborhood meetings.

There is traffic going both north and south on 680 during peak hours but nothing worse than any other area. Coming down Alum Rock in the morning can take up to 10 minutes or more so you just have to allow a little extra time.

Bottom line...I love it up here. The drive up Alum Rock feels like you're leaving the city and entering a different world.

Karen
Web Reference:  http://www.xformyourhome.com
CJ Brasiel, Agent, San Jose, CA
Fri May 23, 2008
John,

The foothills of Alum Rock offer wonderful sunsets and valley views. I have good friends that live up that way and love it. Downsides, not many dining choices nearby and Alum Rock Ave is the main drag and therefore can be single file getting to the highways. Depending on where you are heading when leave Alum Rock the commute can be reasonable or slow. Heading into downtown San Jose at 7:30 am is tough. Obviously heading north on 680 not so bad.

Check out crimereports.com as mentioned below. That gives a great over view.

CJ
Web Reference:  http://www.TalkToCJ.com
Realtor, ,
Fri May 23, 2008
John, feel free to visit my website. I have a link where you can check the crime reports by just punching in the address. Alum Rock foothills is very beautiful! The 680 freeway is not as bad as being stuck on 101. Good luck.
Patrick John…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Fri May 23, 2008
Hi John,

You can check http://www.crimereports.com/ for detailed crime information. Generally you will see congestion at the 680/101 interchange at peak traffic times. Afternoon traffic on Route 101 southbound from Interstate 880 through Highway 85 can be a challenge.

Best of luck!

Patrick
(408) 410-9139