Chris, Home Buyer in Columbia, MD

I am interested in the Ellicott Circle Townhomes built by NVHomes. Any thoughts on the if this is a good deal?

Asked by Chris, Columbia, MD Fri Feb 27, 2009

The Townhomes are starting at 360 right now. Also, wondering how much I could get them to throw in option wise.

Answers

7
Brianxxyy, Home Buyer, Baltimore, MD
Tue May 5, 2009
Hi Chris,
I am a homebuyer and I am very strongly considering NVHomes at Ellicott Square. They are selling fast, everytime I pass by ( 3-4 days) they have sold a home or 2. The price for Vanderbilt have gone up, they are at 379K now. The previous ones were on the 144, this further inside, I am not sure that justifies the 20K increase, but as Joe Blasko, the sales representative told me, they cant sell it any faster. Their Carnegie's are pretty good too, they just sold the present lot and I am waiting for them to put the next lot for sales.

I see some good advice from the realtors, but you know that its partialy complete and they have left you hanging for more.
I know there were 3 families who went together into NVhomes and bought the last 3 garaged townhomes at Waverly woods at about 10K less than what everybody else paid for the same options. The difference was that they did not have a realtor and fairly comfortable pooling their resources and going on their own. for a 400K base home, the realtors will make about 12k with NVHomes, and NVhomes is flexible enough to lower the sales price for you if you go in on your own. The 10K extra also means $50 extra you pay every month on your P&I. I know more and more people are negotiating with their realtors upfront to get upto 50% of their comission back. Redfin.com works similar principle.
Brian Pakulla, Agent, Ellicott City, MD
Fri Feb 27, 2009
Certainly seems like a good value, assuming you don't get carried away with the options and the price increases. The sq footage seems is however on the small side for the price point. Have you looked at other homes? On your own or do you have an agent assisting you?

Before you make your decision I would recommend actively working with an aggressive agent who knows the market and can make sure there isn't a better deal out there for you. Let me know if I can help you further.
Web Reference:  http://www.123move.net
Chris, Home Buyer, Columbia, MD
Fri Feb 27, 2009
NV off of 144. I do not like the Dorsey community as it seems very tight. I also know people who recently moved in NV Homes that had a great experience with them. From looking at what is on the market, 360 with a 2 car garage in that area looks like good value to me.
Brian Pakulla, Agent, Ellicott City, MD
Fri Feb 27, 2009
Chris,

NV does work with Realtors. Ryan typically does not. Even if you didn't bring a buyers agent through the first time, most builders will allow representation, especially if you say I won't buy your home without having my Realtor involved.

Every home and community is different. You should hire yourself the best buyer's agent you can. Consider meeting with a few different agents. Once you've selected the agent you can make sure you've seen the competition to this new construction and that will help you determine value.

To answer your questions specifically, yes, have the builder throw in extra options. Like a finished basement or granite upgrades for no cost. Builders tend to want to keep their sales prices high, but can work with you on options. So it is better to negotiate options vs price.

Are you looking at Ryan in Dorsey Hall or NV off 144? Which community?
Web Reference:  http://www.123move.net
Chris, Home Buyer, Columbia, MD
Fri Feb 27, 2009
I definitely think it is an interesting option. As far as having a real estate agent, I had one I was planning on using but I did not think NV worked with them (I was wrong). Since I have already been to the model, I believe it is there policy that they only pay agents who bring the buyer the first time. I may be wrong on this as well.
George Belle…, Agent, Ellicott City, MD
Fri Feb 27, 2009
Hi Chris,

I presume you mean the Ellicott Square Townhouses on Rt 144 on Western Ellicott City? I believe they are on Ellicott Circle Drive...... if so, I think those are an interesting option, but I feel that there are some other good options in that area as well. If you are only looking at new construction, then there isn't a great deal available in that part of Ellicott City. If you are not familiar with Waverly Woods, you should take a look there as well. It is close by, has great amenities, and a community pool- for under $40 per month HOA.

One thing you should know about the Ellicott Square area is that there is a large development planned across the road From this morning's paper:

HOWARD COUNTY

Dense Development Sought at Historic Ellicott Manor

Requests for a series of changes in Howard County zoning laws that would allow a retirement community to be built on a 188-acre portion of historic Doughoregan Manor were submitted to county officials yesterday.

The changes would allow dense development of the eastern edge of the nearly 300-year-old estate in Ellicott City. It is still owned and inhabited by descendants of Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

-- Baltimore Sun

That is somewhat across the street from that neighborhood. But understand, more development generally drives prices up (people resist development, but done correctly it increases values), and that is good in the long run. Another development nearby (Turf Valley) is expanding as well, and including some nice shopping and service amenities right around the corner off Marriottsville Rd.

As far as options, builders are flexible on options, not as flexible on total price. You should talk to an experienced agent who is familiar with that area to determine what home best fits your needs.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. My email is george@headforhome.net and good luck with your home purchase!
Web Reference:  http://www.headforhome.net
Jonathan S T…, Agent, Columbia, MD
Fri Feb 27, 2009
Chris,

Jon Tucker with RE/MAX 100. Yes, they are very attractively priced for new garage townhomes. I would like to help you negotiate the best price/option combination. Many buyers feel they don't need an agent for new homes. The builder contract is very biased against the buyer, especially how the down payment, home inspection, and other key items are handled.

If you are interested, I would like to work with you to acquire this home or any others in Maryland. Thanks, Jon Tucker, 443.538.4316, TuckerRealty@comcast.net, http://www.JonTuckerHomes.com.