I am interested in purchasing a vacation property within 3 hours of Hartford, CT

Asked by Suzanne860, West Hartford, CT Thu Aug 6, 2009

And am hoping for some advice on potential areas.
Some guidelines we are hoping to meet:
1. Within 3 hours of Hartford, CT
2. On (or access to) water (ideally lake) - not interested in ocean.
3. Fun area for kids (teens) - where they can bike to a town or some fun activities (not remote or rural) Love the idea of a "beachy" type of town.
4. Small cottage but not seasonal.
5. Winter activities would be great. Hoping for an area we can enjoy year round (skiing?)
6. Ideally under $200K

OK - I know these might be impossible guidelines - but I'm hoping to get some good advice here! Any input would be appreciated. We have been looking in VT, NH and MA (Berkshires) --- but haven't found the perfect place yet. Other areas (or the same states - but new ideas) would be great!! Am wondering also about the Lake George, NY area. Anyone have some great ideas????

Answers

5
Cynm, Home Owner, West Hartford, CT
Tue Jan 20, 2015
Did u ever find the perfect lake home?
Fran Rokicki, Agent, BOLTON, CT
Sat Jul 24, 2010
Hi Suzanne,

East of the river, we have several good lakes. Columbia Lake, which is located in a small, quaint town, is about 30 minutes from Hartford. Coventry Lake, again, a lovely setting, is about the same distance. Crystal Lake in Ellington would be my third suggestion. Coventry and Crystal lake offer winter happenings on them. Columbia Lake is drained in the winter months.. A smaller lake is Andover Lake, and it is again, about 30 minutes from Hartford. Coventry lake offers a state boat launch, which is a plus:) I know that they offer a water ski club, too:) I am not sure what they offer during the winter months.

Sounds like a good plan for family fun. Let me know if I can be of service to you:)
Joe Arnao, Agent, Sanwich, MA
Thu Aug 6, 2009
Suzanne,

The lakes area of NH is pushing the 3 hour limit, but offers all of that. Laconia and sourounding towns have plenty to do in summer and Gunstock is nearby.
We do service that area. If you are interested, wecan help.
Can't help with CT or VT. I only know the Killington area and that is a distance.
Marabeth Gil…, Agent, Glastonbury, CT
Thu Aug 6, 2009
Hi Suzanne - Guilford has several lake areas. East Hampton has a large beautiful lake and Old Lyme has a large lake area. If you would like listings in any of these areas please let me know. I can be reached at 860-301-3618 or you can email me at Marabeth@CtRealEstateCorner.com. I am an agent with Prudential Ct Realty.

Marabeth Gildersleeve
Anne Astley, Agent, Old Lyme, CT
Thu Aug 6, 2009
Hi Suzanne

I work in the beautiful shoreline region of Connecticut and specifically in Old Lyme. Old Lyme fits most of your requirements, we have water access to both ocean and lakes, the town is within biking distance as well as the Sound View beach area which is always popular during the summer months with ice cream palour, carousel and activities on the beach. We are within driving distance of several skiing areas. Most of our homes are year round. Another area which may be of interest to you would be Old Saybrook.

If you would like me to send some information on Old Lyme/Old Saybrook and the properties available please contact me directly on anne.astley@cbmoves.com and I would be happy to forward you relevant information.

I hope to hear from you

Regards

Anne Astley
Coldwell Banker Old Lyme