I am interested in a house for sale by owner,can i get an agent represents me?

Asked by Dodo, 49931 Tue Mar 4, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Melinda J. R…, Agent, Grand Rapids, MI
Wed Mar 5, 2008
Dodo, you can have an agent represent you on a for sale by owner. However, I would be up front with the FSBO that you are working with an agent and ask if that is going to be a problem. It seems most FSBO's are willing to do that because at the end of the day they want a buyer. But just double check.

The other thing is even if you have a FSBO tell you no, you may be able to work out a way so that you are paying the buyers agent yourself so that you can still be respresented in this transaction.

I hope this information helps! Best Wishes to you!
Web Reference:  http://www.gomelinda.com/
0 votes
smith3gary, Agent, White Lake, MI
Wed Mar 5, 2008
Dodo, I would have to agree with Maureen, if you've already contacted the unreprisented seller they do not have to agree to pay a real estate professional. Please read the sample buyers agency contract on the site below carefully and inform any agent you work with about all contact you've had with the seller.

I wish you luck in your home purchase.
0 votes
Missy Caulk, Agent, Saline, MI
Wed Mar 5, 2008
Yes and you should unless you 1) know the true market value 2) have an attorney work with you.
I had client who bought a house FSBO, over-paid, didn't realize the value and where the boundary lines were for the west side.
When they were referred to me to sell 3 years later,besides the natural drop in the market we are experiencing, they over-paid in the first place.
I buyer agent can negotiate, pulls comps, attend inspections, negotiate the inspections.
0 votes
Maureen Fran…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Tue Mar 4, 2008
Short answer. Probably.

Have you talked to the seller already? Do you have an agent in mind? If you are already working with an agent, I would recommend you contact him/her before you directly call any for sale by owner. That way the seller will understand that you want representation from the beginning.

You are wise for wanting representation.
Web Reference:  http://mioaklandcounty.com
0 votes
Derek Bauer, Agent, South Lyon, MI
Tue Mar 4, 2008
Hello, Dodo! By default in Michigan, Real Estate Agents and Brokers represent the Seller. Buyer Agency changed that and as such, you as a consumer can have a professional that represents you, negotiates on your behalf, and owes their fiduciary obligation to you.

That said, you would first need to identify an Agent to have represent you and the owner of the home would have to be willing to cooperate with that Agent.

Hope that was helpful and best wishes in your hopeful purchase!

-Derek Bauer, Associate Broker
Real Estate One - Door to Dreams Team, Lead
Web Reference:  http://www.doortodreams.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Houghton Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more