I am interested in a home in a flood zone. I would like to determine the cost of the flood insurance before I make an offer. How do I go about that?

Asked by baseballi, Brielle, NJ Sun Jul 7, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Valentina Ga…, Agent, sea girt, NJ
Tue Feb 4, 2014

The new FEMA maps are being released now. The formula for flood insurance is based on how high your house base flood elevation (bfe) is. Basically bfe is estimated around sea level

If you house needs to be 8 ft high according to FEMA maps and your house is 6 ft high then you pay a premium for each foot under the 8 ft

Flood insurance is usually affordable unless the house is really low. At that point it is sometimes cheaper to raise the house

Go to region2region.gov. Go the Find your bfe. Put in your address. See what it is.

If you need help your agent can help you. If you don't have an agent give me a call.
It is tricky.

Valentina gabela
0 votes
Diane Fox, , Wall Township, NJ
Tue Feb 4, 2014
Just saw this post and wanted to respond for anyone looking to purchase in a flood zone. To get a quote on flood insurance you will need an Elevation Certificate to see how high or low the house sits in relation to the base flood elevation. You can ask the current owner of the property if they have an Elevation Certificate or possibly one has been recorded in the town records. If not, you will need to hire a licensed surveyor to do this (the fee is anywhere from $450 and up). Once you have the certificate you can call a flood certified insurance agent and they can provide you with a quote. Floodsmart.gov and region2coastal.com are both good sites for flood insurance information, but without the EC it will hold up your purchase. If you will have a mortgage you will be required to have flood insurance. Anyone needing information regarding flood insurance can contact me, Diane Fox, at dfox@northeastins.com. I can also refer you to a surveyor who does the EC.
0 votes
Nita Rose, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Mon Jul 8, 2013
The Fema website is http://www.region2coastal.com. Click on Hurricane Sandy and you will see an area to enter the property address. Once you get the required height for the property, you will need a current flood elevation certificate to determine insurance cost. If you are not already working with another agent, I will be happy to assist you with getting all of this information before making an offer. Good luck!

Nita Rose
0 votes
Valentina Ga…, Agent, sea girt, NJ
Sun Jul 7, 2013
That is easy. Go to FEMA website then put in the address. Find out the height required. Then find out current height of house, the survey will give that information. Call an insurance company then get a rate

I live in Brielle on the water. I can help you if you are not working with an agent to purchase the property

0 votes
Thank you for your quick response. The FEMA website only shows a map of the area. would you have the link? also I do not have the survey. Is town hall the best source for that? I appreciate your thoughts!!!!
Flag Mon Jul 8, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Brielle Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more