I am interested in Colonial's between Tottenville & Eltingville. Seems prices vary widely between 600K to 1M. How do I determine good value?

Asked by Marylu, Staten Island, NY Wed Oct 2, 2013

I want best value where I can expect price to increase over time. I am approved for over 1M, but don't need to buy the most expensive property. Seems no way to correlate between prices of some homes. Two homes in Woodrow with very similar design but one larger than the other home is over 150K less than the other. Even taking account for interior decor differences, can't find reason for such variation in price. I like them both, but I prefer the larger home because there is more value I can add over time, but my agent says one is immediate move in while the other could use some update before move in. I don't mind making decor changes. I want value. I want to evaluate the size difference in terms of cost/value. The larger home has a sun room & sitting room while the smaller has an added garage & a pool. What emperical formula can I use to try & justify price rather than use subjective feelings? I'm not buying art.

Answers

3
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Oct 2, 2013
You can justify price by choosing the one that you know you will be happiest living in....
Leslie Ann W…, Agent,
Wed Oct 2, 2013
What do you think a sun room and a sitting room or garage and pool hmm!
One may be over\under priced. If there is more value in the larger one sounds to me you can use the difference in money to add a pool and garage to the larger one and have it all!
Good luck either way go with your instincts
Jill Subes, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Oct 2, 2013
It might just be that one is overpriced.