I am in the looking phase of the homebuying process. I gave the realtor that we are talking to (we have not signed a contract) a few homes we are

Asked by Ready2buy!, 23451 Sun Apr 11, 2010

interested in looking at. They sent me an email with another home I may be interested in. This home was already on my list. They haven't sent me any other homes to look at even though I have found several others in the area we are interested in that matched our criteria but were not on our list. I'm doing all the work. We have an appt with the realtor in a couple of days to view homes (my list) but I know that if we look with them but don't use them they could come back and claim that some commissions are owed them as they showed us the home. What should I do? I don't feel like this agent is doing any work for us but we only have this couple of days to look at homes and with the tax credit deadline looming closer we have to get out there.

Answers

9
Nelene Gibbs, Agent, Chesapeake, VA
Wed Apr 14, 2010
I have a current client that was in the very same situation. She actually came to me through a referral from a former client after being disatisfied with her current realtor. I would be happy to have her share with you her experience with me. We have not only found her the home of her dreams, we have become friends.

It is very important that you establish a realtionship with a realtor you can trust. Homebuying is one of the most important life events that you will be involved with. If you are not comfortable with your current realtor I would suggest you interview a couple of others. It won't take much time. You want to have someone that is working on your behalf and looking our for your best interest. Of course, we all have to make a living, however, selling real estate is about much more than the commission. It is about the people and the relationship you develop with the people. You need to know that you are the Realtor's priority.

Again, you need someone you can trust. You need someone that is committed to you 110%. I would be happy to interview with you for the job of being "Your Realtor". You can search my website or I would be happy to take your specific needs and send listings to you for your review.
Let me know how I can help you!
Nelene

Nelene Gibbs, Realtor, e-Pro
Real Estate Investment Advisors
http://www.nelenegibbs.com
mail to: nelene@nelenegibbs.com
Web Reference:  http://www.nelenegibbs.com
MARIE DEPEDRO, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Wed Apr 14, 2010
I work and live here in Virginia Beach. I have a great Team and would love to help you to find a home before the tax credit expires. I have access to a lot of houses that are not listed yet and you could posibly take advantage of that because dont have to compete with other buyers.
Feel free to check out my site http://marie.rein.mlxchange.com or you can call me at any time 757 270-1623

Marie De Pedro
Wainwright Real Estate
757 270-1623
Linda S. Cef…, Agent, Franklin, WI
Mon Apr 12, 2010
Dear Ready2buy!

You have some great advice here. The key word is committment. If you haven't signed anything then you are free to do what you should do. First and foremost, ask friends, relatives, co-workers if they have any referrals. Then interview as many agents as you need to until you find one that fits. Ask questions and listen to their answers. Then decide whether or not your personalities work well together - this is very important.

If you commit to a realtor, they will commit to you. A good realtor will ask questions about your financing such as whether or not you have been pre-qualified with a lender. Then they should ask you questions as to what your needs are. Once they have obtained that information they are then able to set you up on an auto email with your specific criteria. Depending on the price range and area, you should be getting more than one home at a time. That said, I have to add that if you have very specific needs and there isn't much available that fits those needs, it is possible that you may only receive a few listings.

I am not in your area, so I cannot help you, but I hope this information has helped.

Linda S. Cefalu
Web Reference:  http://www.lindacefalu.com
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon Apr 12, 2010
You don't want to work with this agent, do you? So, don't. Find someone else.
Joan Braunsc…, , Morris County, NJ
Mon Apr 12, 2010
You have no obligation to this agent and you also have nothing to worry about regarding a claim to owe commission. I believe you are referring to procurring cause which refers to a chain of events that leads to a sale of a home. You haven't even gotten to the first step yet- being shown a home.
Having an eye to eye sit down discussion before you proceed any further can only benefit you and your agent.
You will either find out that this is not the agent for you and save both of you some time and grief or
you will realize that it was a simple case of lack of communication and find out that this agent will work out great for you.
Just remember, for the largest purchase of your life you in no way have to apologize for being careful, even picky, about who you hire to help you through a very stressful period. I consider that being prudent. I think it is SO important to trust your agent as well as actually like them. If you do not click for any reason, now is the time to continue your search.
A time crunch, even with the tax credit deadline looming is not a reason to go rushing into anything this major, in my opinion.
Anja Howard, , Virginia Beach, VA
Mon Apr 12, 2010
I would love to know what kind of home you are interested in. I live and work here at the beach and I bet I could find you a perfect match! I would be glad to take you to look at something you haven't found on your own. Let's get started!

Best wishes,
Anja Howard
Lili Cox, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Sun Apr 11, 2010
Some realtors are not 100% in to their business. William E. Wood Realtors are all 100% no part timers. Please give me a call, I would love to work for you and do the job that you and every client should expect.
Lili Cox, Realtor
757-434-4110
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Sun Apr 11, 2010
I agree with Anna that you should talk to the real estate agent to find out what is going on. If you cannot resolve the problem, cancel your appointment so no issues of commission result and find an agent who you are more comfortable with. There are few thing worse than having to work with someone you don't have confidence in. Concerning your time issue, many agents can start working with you (and show you homes) on the day you meet them.

Ron
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Apr 11, 2010
If you don't have a signed agreement, have a discussion with your agent regarding your dissatisfaction with the services being rendered-- communicate your needs before looking at any properties--if not satisfied with the answers you are free to use whoever you like--choose your agent with care.