I am in the ATL area. I am a first year graduate student and am interested in buying property. I have good

Asked by Nikki, ATL Sat Apr 5, 2008

credit with no major debt (other than student loans). What are my options

Answers

10
Don, , Atlanta, GA
Sun Nov 29, 2009
For more information on how to obtain mortgage loan, visit http://www.atlantaloanfinders.com
Donna McClure, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Fri Apr 11, 2008
Hello Nikki,
Your first step is to speak with a lender. Figure out what you are comfortable paying each month and the lender can translate that into a mortgage amount and sales price amount. From there you can decide if you want a condo, townhome or single family home. Do you know which area you are interested in? Do you like the area your school is in? Just some questions to think about.
Then interview a few Real Estate agents. Ask questions and pick someone you feel is knowledgeable, who you feel comfortable with and whom you feel can best suit your needs. The buying process can be a little intimidating so don't get too nervous. It will be well worth it.
Good luck with graduate school!
L. Ann Mitch…, , Snellville - and surrounding areas
Tue Apr 8, 2008
Hi Nikki !

With good credit (660 +) and no major debt you are in a good position to get a great deal on a home. There are many first time home buyers programs available and ways to get around putting a large amount down. Niki if you are not already working with an agent I would enjoy the opportunity to discuss this further. Please let me know what area of town you are looking to purchase in, how many bed/baths etc.

I look forward to assisting you with your first real estate transaction !
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Mon Apr 7, 2008
Nikki,

Where do you want to live?

How much money do you want to invest in a down payment?

What are your best mortgage options?

How long do you want to live in your first real estate purchase?

Your options are remarkably wide and deep - Trulia Voices is a good starting point for advice, but take the next step and begin face to to face meetings with some specialists.
Web Reference:  http://intowninsider.com/
Malcolm Boar…, Agent, Emerald Isle, NC
Sun Apr 6, 2008
Nikki,
Congrats on planning to buy your home as soon as you reach the point in your where you can afford the make the purchase. In today's market place, I would make sure that I have enough cash to make the down payment .....lending regulation have gotten much stiffer in the past few weeks. I would guess that you are renting have have budgeted dollars for you living quarters. Move forward as quickly as you can since the market is a strong buyers maket. Developing a relationship with a real estate professional and then talk with several mortgage providers to help you by providing good faith estimates for compairson.

Then the fun begins....If you need some help or maybe someone to talk to regarding your needs and requirement....Don't wait call today.

Malcolm Boartfield, ABR
Prudential Georgia Realty
404-915-5891
Web Reference:  http://www.buycobbhomes.com
Joshua Jarvis, Agent, Duluth, GA
Sun Apr 6, 2008
Nikki,

Your first step is NOT contacting a Lender or a Realtor... NOPE!

It's getting a budget together! Figure out how much per month you can afford.
Think about your strategy next, how long do you plan to live at this home, how much money do you want to put down if any.

After you have thought of these things, THEN contact Theresa Laine @ 770-891-4121 and she'll walk you through the financial side of things.

From there, select a great Realtor (preferably me, but there are many great ones here). To walk you through the home selection and negotiation process.

Good Luck
Web Reference:  http://www.gahomedigest.com
John Reinhar…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Sat Apr 5, 2008
Nikki -

I would recommend Sandra Smith with Chase as a lender. She has been in the business for decades & with me regularly does business with my clients in every county in metro Atlanta by Fed-X. You would not have to go into her office. Check her out: http://homeloan.chase.com/sandra.k.smith

Please feel free to call me at 678.784.4440 if you need any assistance.

John J. Reinhardt
REALTOR
RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
678.784.4440
Kathy Seger &…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Sat Apr 5, 2008
Nikki, The first step in purchasing a home is finding out how much mortgage you qualify for. When you know what you qualify for plus your down payment you know what price home you can afford. Speak with several loan officers to compare rates and closing cost. If you would like some recommendation please contract me.

Next you want to find a real estate agent to represent you in your home purchase. A buyer's agent is required to be honest and forthright with you and put your interest above all others. The buyer's agent services are free to you.

You probably want to interview several agents to make sure you are comfortable with each other, they understand what you want, and they know the area you want to house hunt. Best of luck with your home purchase.
Larry Story, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Sat Apr 5, 2008
Nikki,
If you are really ready to buy then go ahead and find a lender you are comfortable with and get a pre-approval letter (you will need this when you submit an offer). Then you need to interview several and then pick a buyer's agent to help you in your search. Give them the area you want to live in, the basic needs and wants you wish to have, and the time frame of when you would like to move. When you find one you will need to give them the pre-approval letter and make an offer. As I suggest with all my first time buyers and with some I sit and help but, make a budget of how much you want to pay in mortgage payments. Think about where you are looking. If you are looking at some condo, townhome, or even some single home communities don't forget to add the homeowner's association dues into your payment budget. Then between what you figure you can comfortably pay and what the lender has worked up for you with that payment maximum you can find something that you can purchase and not be stressed about. Atlanta has some very nice areas so just decide on where you want to be.

Good luck and happy house hunting

Larry Story
Coldwell Banker Triad
Matt Fagioli, , Dacula, GA
Sat Apr 5, 2008
You have plenty of options. First you want to talk with a trustworthy mortgage broker to see how much you qualify to purchase. Then you can meet with a Realtor and make your plan from there.
We recommend Signature Lending Group. Ask for Chuck. 678.725.8076