I am considering the purchase of an older home and the inspector suggested getting the opinion of a

Asked by Lori, Chicago, IL Tue Jul 29, 2008

structural engineer. I am looking for recommendations in the Providence area.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Kimberly All…, Agent, Braintree, MA
Tue Jul 29, 2008
The ReStructure Company, Inc. does structural building inspections and reports. Depending on the circumstances, reason and/or final use, the building inspections or report can be very detailed with plans, sections, estimates and cause or effect analysis to as simple as a visual site inspection with a verbal narration. The ReStructure Company, Inc. has prepared reports for litigation, Real Estate transactions, conflicts with builders, support for insurance claims and to evaluate a building for the Owner. These reports are provided based on a hourly rate and expenses. Inspections and reports can be done by all or one of the following; a Professional Engineer, licensed builder or an estimator. If appropriate, a billing rate sheet, project history, court experience will be provided to a prospective client .

Postal address
48 Plymouth Street, Holbrook, MA 02343

Perhaps they can refer you to someone in the Providence area if they dont go that far. Best of Luck
0 votes
Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Tue Jul 29, 2008
Hello Lori- As far as getting a structural engineer's professional opinion, my guess is that'll run you around $500 minimum- and he will only do a cursory visual site inspection. He can't guarantee you anything- just so you know. But, it could be worth it.
What kind of experience did this home inspector have? Most home inspectors that have been both inspecting AND building (new/ rehabs) for at least 10 years should have a very good clue about if the base structure of the property is sound or not.
I've been a licensed builder for over 10 years (as well as a mortgage broker), so I'm just throwing in my 2 cents here to try to help. Thanks, and Good luck,
Ken L.
0 votes
Judy Boyle, Agent, Marlborough, MA
Tue Jul 29, 2008
Hi Lori,

I always have luck with http://www.servicemagic.com. You can post your inquiry there and will immediately receive responses from prescreened professionals. I just did a quick search for you and found there are plenty of engineers if you look under "Architects, Builders & Engineers". Good luck! Providence is beautiful! Judy Boyle
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more