Louann, Renter in Denton, TX

I am considering renting a house in Denton TX but the owner says he has been transfered to the UK and we will have to do everything by email. How do?

Asked by Louann, Denton, TX Fri May 20, 2011

I verify that he owns the house?

Answers

9
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Fri May 20, 2011
Hi Louann,
Here is the link to the tax assessor for Denton, Texas where you can input the owner's name or the property's address to determine if he truly owns the property:

http://taxweb.dentoncounty.com/taxwebsite/

Be careful as there are many scammers out there attempting to obtain your personal information or money.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
christysone22, Renter, Denton, TX
Thu Dec 13, 2012
i have also looked at this home in denton. i sent the man a email after viewing the outside of the property & finding it was occupied. i asked questions and expressed my concern that he said it was unoccupied & move-in ready. he sent a very long email explaining everything about his life, religion & uk move that we had already established in the first email & not a single question or concern was addressed so i found another property.... i think its safe to say SCAM!!!
Scam?, Renter, Texas
Mon Apr 30, 2012
We recently emailed on a house in crossroads and one in Denton. Both responses have talked about family moving to UK! Seems like scam!
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Wed May 25, 2011
Louann,

I can help you check it out or find you another house.
Let me know what I can do to help you.

Click the link below for more Denton Rentals.

If he is gone to UK, how will you get keys?

Bruce Lynn
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri May 20, 2011
It's a scam. A very common scam. Don't do it. And don't send him any money.

Scam.

Clear enough?
Brian Rayl, Agent, Dallas, TX
Fri May 20, 2011
I have to agree that this sounds like a very typical scam.

My guess is that you received this persons contact information from Craigslist? That is the number 1 source of Real Estate scams these days. My guess is that the home is really for sale by a licensed agent, and someone has stolen all of the pictures and information on the home and posted it for rent at a rate that seems ridiculously low.

Am I close?

If you wouldn't mind, you can either post the address here on Trulia or email it to me personally. I would like to let the listing agent know about this so that they can take steps to remove the incorrect information.

It's more than real estate. It's RAYL-Estate!

Brian Rayl, REALTOR®
Keller Williams Elite
972-949-4222
Brian@Rayl-Estate.com
Web Reference:  http://BrianRayl.com
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Fri May 20, 2011
There are many rentals scams out there use a Realtor prevent any issues

http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5041527

I represent many families regarding Dallas homes for rent by owner contact my office

972-699-9111
Lynn
Jackie Rankin, Agent, Fort Worth, TX
Fri May 20, 2011
Be very careful Louann. There have been similar scenarios that were scams. You can look online using the Denton County Tax Assessors office to verify who owns the home. Good luck!

Jackie
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri May 20, 2011
It could be a scam, proceed with high caution--to verify ownership check local public records, ask a neighbor(s), ask any local agent offline, check tax records, etc.