I am considering buying a unit in the Cooper Arms Building in downtown Long Beach.

Asked by William Harte, Long Beach, CA Wed Jun 6, 2012

How can I obtain a current copy of the Homeowner's Association "BYLAWS" for the Cooper Arms in down town Long Beach. I would prefer it in PDF file format if possible. I very much want to study the BYLAWS even before looking at a unit.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thank you very much.

Answers

6
Californiagi…, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Sat Oct 3, 2015
Can someone explain the way the electrical billing is done? I have been living there since 2011 my utilities used to run about $15.00 to $25.00 a month. I'm in a single unit about 700 square feet. My bill has gone up this month to $102.50 which isn't possible since it is done by RUBS. I also found out meters aren't registered. I'm a single person in a single unit. Can someone explain how cooper arms is billing their tenants, because it a sub metered billing?
Karen McEniry, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Sun Feb 22, 2015
Hi William,
Were you able to get the BYLAWS? If you still need them, you can email or call me, and I can work on trying to get a copy. I also may be able to get the CC&R's for you if that helps.

Best Regards, Karen McEniry
Coldwell Banker Beachside, Realtors
karen@karenmceniry.com
(714) 343-9470
Barbara Robb…, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Thu Jun 7, 2012
I have sold several units in there over the years and never had an issues with the Bylaws. Is there any specific concern?

Typically any of the governing documents can not just be handed out to someone interested in the property until they have actually are in escrow to purchase a unit or they are renting on from a current owner. The suggestions were good to see if you could get a copy from someone who lives there if they are willing to give it to you. It is unlikely you can attend an HOA Meeting as they are just for the owners in the building and usually outsiders are not welcome as their business is private to the owners.

Stop by the building and visit with the person in the front lobby office and perhaps they could help you with this matter or at least answer any concerns about rules they may have.They are very helpful there! It is a great building and my clients loved living there.

Hope that helps,
Barbara Robbins-Olexa, Broker
L B Brokerage
DRE Lic#797560
714-296-7270
bstrealtor@aol.com
Robert Spino…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Mill Valley, CA
Wed Jun 6, 2012
I will second what Jeremy said about attending the next HOA meeting. Contact the management company, find out when it is and I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it.

Best of luck,

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
Jeremy Lehman, Agent, Garden Grove, CA
Wed Jun 6, 2012
What Stephanie said. Another option is to possibly seek out someone who recently moved in and see if they'd be willing to share. I'm not sure if the HOA has a policy against this or not. Or you could attend one of their monthly meetings and ask for info then.
Stephenie Ra…, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Wed Jun 6, 2012
Good afternoon William,

HOA docs., which include: CC&R's, Bylaws, budget reports and minutes of meetings, are reviewed during an escrow period. The packaging of this material is billed to either the Buyer or the Seller (per the purchase contract) through escrow. This documentation/package can run up to $500 and is not ordered until an offer has been accepted and an escrow opened due to the amount of paperwork, time and money spent on putting it together. As a Buyer, you essentially have a 17 day window to review all continguencies, which include all HOA docs/package, without risk of losing your good faith deposit. Once you've had time to review the paperwork you can then decide to move forward with the purchase or decline it and cancel the agreement.

Hope this information helps. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me directly.
Stephenie Raso
Keller Williams Coastal Properties
Raso4re@aol.com