I am considering buying a Duplex down in Wicker Park. Have there been issues of flooding etc. with buildings in this region? Any advice welcome!?

Asked by Vinceale1122, Wicker Park, Chicago, IL Fri Oct 9, 2009

Answers

5
Accurate Inspections & Consulting’s answer
Accurate Ins…, Other Pro, Chicago, IL
Thu Feb 2, 2012
Since you mention a duplex down, I'll assume you are looking at newer construction. Granted it could be a vintage conversion but probably not. Flooding from heavy rain isn't really the big issue. Yes it is possible but most likely not the main concern. If this is a CMU building (cement block exterior walls) water intrusion can be a major issue both in the basement and on upper floors because of the poor nature of CMU construction. These types of buildings tend to have ongoing water seepage more than actual flooding. Depending on how well or poorly the building was built, conditions could be good or bad. All areas should be checked for water intrusion using a moisture meter at the least. Look for discolorations (yellow/tan/black) along the baseboards.
Whether you hire me or someone else, make sure you hire a good home inspector.
There are critical issues to consider and major questions to ask when considering buying into a CMU condo building. It is important to know the issues and understand the potential pitfalls involved with these buildings.
Web Reference:  http://www.aic-chicago.com
Nick Gecan, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Feb 2, 2012
If you are buying a newer building with a poured concrete foundation you should be fine. The older buildings are more porous with their stone or brick foundation. When one goes into lower levels or basements I always tell my clients use your nose more then your eyes. You can usually smell mildew. Also beware of lower levels or basements that have been freshly painted. This covers up water marks on the walls.

Nick Gecan
Broker/Owner
Gecan Realty Group
26 years selling in Wicker Pk
Web Reference:  http://www.gecanrealty.com
Marianne Gri…, Home Owner, Wicker Park, Chicago, IL
Fri May 28, 2010
Since many properties are advertised as being in Wicker Park that are not, it is difficult to say. A good home inspector can determine a lot of the history. While I have had no evidence of flooding in at my property in Wicker Park, I did have significant issues with another property in West Town / Ukranian Village less than a mile away. We had issues with the streets flooding and sewer lines backing up into basements on a regular basis. There was evidence of flooding when we purchased that property. We purchased it anyway and installed flood blockers in the drains with an ejector pump and pit. Since we purchased the property in the early 90's we easily made our money back on the investment. Best of luck to you in your decision!
Tom McCarey, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Oct 13, 2009
Vince,

Without knowing the specific parcel you refer to, it is difficult to offer anything more than a cursory overview - so here goes.

Construction within the past five or so years have integrated specifications that call for porous drain tiles on the interior of the lower level (below the floor) and exterior to the building's footing. This is placed in a gravel mass to enable soak through and run off. To further facilitate appropriate handling of too much water newer buildings will have ejectors and sump pumps. So long as these items are present, you should be good to go with relatively little to worry about as it regards flooding.

As with any real estate purchase, you will be well-served by having in your corner the best possible advocates that include a well-informed real estate professional, a professional and experienced home inspector, a good attorney and a credible and intelligent lender.

There's a ton of inventory in Wicker Park, having a good realtor on your side will enable you to gain much needed insights to make the best possible decision.

Feel free to reach out to me if you would like assistance - 773.848.9241.

Tom McCarey
The Real Estate Lounge Chicago with @properties
Ken Dooley, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 9, 2009
Vinceale1122,

I've lived in the Wicker Park neighborhood for the past 5 years and personally have not experienced any flooding during that time. However, individual streets can experience different conditions during heavy rain not only in Wwicker Park but any part of the city. I would check the disclosures for any water issues, ask the listing agent for any history of flooding in the unit and also ask if the unit has drain tile connected to a sump pump. Newer duplex down units have such systems in place but newer conversions of older buildings often do not.

Best of luck.
Ken Dooley, 312 305 4919 cell
Conlon: A Real Estate Company
Web Reference:  http://www.KenDooley.com