Andrew Vitch, Both Buyer and Seller in ontario, canada

I am coming to Florida at the end of May to look at property. We are interested in Miami Beach north to Ft.

Asked by Andrew Vitch, ontario, canada Sat May 3, 2008

Lauderdale to purchase a near ocean 2 bdr condo at around the $200,000 amount without huge HOA or taxes that allow rentals by a min of 1 week and are pet friendly. What are the best value areas for selection? What is the most important things I should know about buying in South Florida that I am unaware of being from Canada (I am a us citizen)?

Answers

5
Tom Caluzzi, Both Buyer And Seller, Miami Beach, FL
Thu May 22, 2008
Why deal with the headaches of buying when you can rent. Have you looked into the cost of insurance if you can even get it. I have just been dropped 3 times in one year with no explanation. There is a 3 year glut of inventory in Miami area, don't let the predators tell you otherwise. Why deal with condo boards that change policy every time the board members leave office.
Angela Schra…, Agent, Pembroke Pines, FL
Wed May 7, 2008
Andrew: Everyone here has given good advice - it will be very tight to get to the $200,000 with ocean views but as long as you don't mind being within 3-5 miles, you should be able to find somewhere nice - I can think of a few places right now. However, the one criteria that will restrict you is going to be the weekly rentals. Most condo associations restrict weekly rentals. I'm not saying that they don't exist but they are going to be the exception rather than the rule. I have clients from Canada and overseas who are looking to rent their homes as vacation rentals and because this is their main criteria (they need the income from the rental) to offset their cost, they end up with single family homes.

Vacation rentals, like everything else, has its pros and cons. You will need an excellent property manager close by to handle the day-to-day maintenance and deal with your renters. You will definitely make much more on a weekly/monthly basis than if you were renting with an annual lease - up to 4 times as much. However, you can't guarantee that you will rent throughout the year. Another concern is the wear and tear on the home - tends to be greater with weekly tenants. You have to make sure the home is equipped and furnished accordingly to warrant the weekly rental charge.

We did this for a client/friend from Europe, they're thrilled with the result but it was a LOT of work. We vet all the rental inquiries, advertise on certain websites, and I'm pleased to say we've never had a bad experience with any renters (well, perhaps one, but it could have been much worse)! There's a lot to consider tho.

Remember to put yourself in the shoes of a potential renter - being on vacation, they'll want access to a pool, the beach, and all the attractions. If I can help in any way, don't hesitate to contact me.

Best of luck - there are some amazing deals out there in the area right now.

Angela
Villa G Realty
Web Reference:  http://www.villagrealty.com
Tobias Kaiser…, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sun May 4, 2008
Andrew,
Ines made a good point: you are not alone in search for the best $200k deal. Her link makes excellent readin, because she says it exactly how it is. I (from Fort Lauderdale) assess the regional market exactly like she does.

I would say currently the best value-area is Dade (Miami) county, with a condo inventory of 53 months at the end of March (normal is 6 to 9 mos), with the greater Fort Lauderdale area (inventory at 32 mos) a very close second. In Fort L, with patience and luck you may actually find an oceanview in the mid-$200s.

Your rental- and pet-requirements filter it a bit though. With renting (and resale) in mind, I would aim for the best location, read (in descending order): oceanfront, oceanview, waterview.

Areas most popular include Miami Beach, Miami (Bayfront), Fort Lauderdale (check for future developments), Hillsboro Beach and Deerfield, all still in Broward County, the last approx. 14 mi north of downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Tobias Kaiser, MS, CIPS
Greater Fort Lauderdale Real Estate Broker + Consultant
Certified International Property Specialist
Mark Palace, Agent, Satellite Beach, FL
Sat May 3, 2008
Hi Andrew: You can purchase some really amazing real estate on the island within 2-5 minutes from the Atlantic ocean here in south-central Florida: http://www.brevardmls.com/brv/maildoc/a002Mu5579.html . In particular, take a look at this brand new place: http://www.brevardmls.com/brv/maildoc/a000jL8481.html.

About Us
Our mission is to provide the best service possible to our customers and clients and to be ever mindful of your needs. We achieve true success only by placing you first.

Palace Properties International is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, Melbourne Area Association of Realtors, Florida Association of Realtors, National Association of Realtors, World Properties, Home Builders and Contractors Association of Brevard (HBCA), Florida Home Builders Association (FHBA) as well as the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB).

Whether you want to invest in California, Virginia, the Carolinas, Florida or elsewhere, we look forward to working with and for you, your family and your friends regarding your and their real estate pursuits. We take advantage of our elite and prestigious professional real estate network of top producing, pre-qualified Realtors that specialize in their respective geographical areas.
Company history
With a rich and diverse international background, the staff at Palace Properties International speaks nine languages, has lived and traveled in over 20 countries and possess multiple advanced postgraduate academic university degrees. Kelly and Mark Palace own the firm along with several other thriving businesses in central Florida.

Client Testimoials

Mark, you truly are the Somerset Oceanfront Specialist. I really appreciate the way you have worked with me as an owner of two units. I know listing with you is the right choice as you are well connected both in the local community and to the international buyers. Each time I talk to you, it seems you have my best interest in mind. Thank you!” S. Veal, MD 03/22/08
- Dr. Steven Veal, Medical Doctor and Real Estate Investor 3/23/08

I met Mark Palace at the Curves Vibrant Womens Conference and decided to have Palace Properties help me find a place to rent or buy. He had a place within an hour and I could see it that evening after work. Mark works hard for his clients and always kept in contact with me by e-mails and phone calls when I needed to talk to him. Never had to wait long for a call back. He is very professional, courteous and respectful. There are some realtors out there that should take lessons from Mark Palace, Palace Properties.
- Patricia Kane, BRPH Architects/Engineers, Inc 7/24/07

We contacted Mark on a Friday, saw houses on a Sunday, and had a new address on Monday. Mark is very dedicated to continuously searching for appropriate properties, while keeping us updated with each new finding. His efforts significantly helped us with a stressful search for a new home.
- Sam and Melissa Herron-Goldman, United States Air Force 7/12/07

Mark, Good morning…It has been a sincere pleasure working with you and I greatly appreciate your business. It is so refreshing to meet someone that treats their customers with respect and puts their customer’s interests FIRST! Your work ethic and high regard for your customers are in line with mine and I look forward to a long working relationship with you…this is why I feel confident recommending you to MY customers who have homes to sell. I know that they will be in good hands with you and you will do everything to move their home quickly so they can close…Thanks again for being my #1 choice for Realtors and for truly treating your customers like Royalty!
- Darlene Salmon, Mercedes Homes 2/18/07

Mark Palace, CEO/Founder
Palace Properties International, Inc.
http://PalacePropertiesOnline.com/default.aspx
321.773.5611
321.704.9305

Just 35 miles east of Orlando, Brevard County prides itself as the home of Kennedy Space Center, the only facility in the world that launches the Space Shuttle; Port Canaveral, the second-busiest cruise port in the world; 72 miles of beautiful Atlantic Ocean beaches; and the largest collection of endangered wildlife and plants in the continental United States. With its tropical weather, cultural activities, educational opportunities, active and passive recreation options, high-technology industries, and family-friendly atmosphere, the Space Coast offers an exceptional quality of life that residents and visitors enjoy year-round. Nearly 500,000 people call its 15 municipalities and unincorporated areas "home."
Ines Hegedus…, Agent, Miami, FL
Sat May 3, 2008
Andrew - you are not the only one looking for the magic $200k condo. I actually wrote a post about it that you may find interesting.
Good Luck with your search,
Ines