I am buying first home i have been approved for 67,000..people keep having me look @ homes in high 70's/low 80's.realisticly how low can i

Asked by Crystal, Akron, AL Mon Mar 21, 2011

ofer seller

Answers

2
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Mon Mar 21, 2011
How low can you offer? Depends on the seller's motivation and amount of equity in the property.

I understand your concern: It's a pretty big gap between, say, $77,000 and $67,000. And even bigger if you go up to, say, $83,000.

You say "People keep having me look . . . " Ideally, you should be working with one agent--one you select. Not a listing agent who may have listed one of the higher-priced homes. First, make clear what you've been approved for. If all you then get are still homes that might be outside of your price range, ask: "Print me a list of all available homes in __________ [location, or x miles from a central spot] that are priced between $60,000 and $70,000." Then see if there are any in that price range that might work for you. If not, certainly consider ones listed for more. But the higher you go--and in your case I'd guess much above maybe $72,000 or so--the less likely you are to be able to get one for $67,000 or less. Again, certainly not impossible, but less likely.

BG, Home Buyer, Phoenix, AZ
Mon Mar 21, 2011
have you informed your agent that you only want to see houses in the high 60s range ? Tell them that they are wasting your time.