I am buying a house that has four upper cabinets missing and the chopping board is missing, I want the

Asked by Kelly, Stockton, CA Thu Apr 23, 2009

cabinets to match the other cabinets, so where do i go on to find a match? do i have to call the builder? help!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Darin Redding, , San Diego, CA
Wed Sep 9, 2009
The builder would be my first option. Second, I would attempt to identify the manufacturer of the cabinet. This information can sometimes be found in the following places:

The arm of the hinge (small, plastic insert with the company name)
The bottom of the drawer (need to take it out)
The back edge of an adjustable shelf (need to take it out, sometimes you will see a sticker)
Branded into the interior side of a drawer
Top edge of an upper door, bottom edge of a lower door

Other than that, you could remove a door and take it on a shopping excursion to HD and Lowes :). My guess is if the home is fairly new and a tract home, a custom cabinet shop did not make the cabinets. Usually tract builders use national suppliers for their cabinetry.

Happy hunting!
0 votes
123troy, Home Buyer, Lathrop, CA
Sun May 3, 2009
If it helps, I just bought a Pulte home in Lathrop and they used Merrillat Cabinets. This was acquried from the builder. Unless they have gone under should be he helpful in telling you where the cabinets are from and possibly what the model, wood type and stain color are.
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Apr 30, 2009
Starting with the builder is probably a good idea. They may have an inventory of these cabinets that they can sell you. If not, try to identify the source of the cabinets. Who was their supplier ? What is the name of the Manufacturer?

Unless they are out of production, you should be able to find them somewhere. It's a matter of using the tools available to you.

Good luck
0 votes
Michael C. A…, Agent, Santa Clara, CA
Wed Apr 29, 2009
If you knew the Builder, they ussual have a customer Service, hope fully they haven't file BK and closed down, go asked them who they contracted to do the cabinets. Ussually if it's a standard oak cabinets, a home Depot or Lowes can get you a match, a little bit cheaper, but if it's the upgraded ones, you might have to go to Barbosa, Like Toni has mention.
0 votes
Toni Dalrymp…, Agent, Livermore, CA
Thu Apr 23, 2009
Hi Kelly...

Barbosa Cabinets in Tracy does alot of the cabinets for home builders in Mountain House and Lathrop. If you own a newer home then you might try giving them a call and asking them if they produced the cabinets for your subdivision. If they did, you should have an easier time getting a match. If they didnt maybe you can find an original home owner that knows who manufactured the cabinets.

0 votes
Dave Heck, , Arcadia, CA
Thu Apr 23, 2009
Most custom cabinet shops can match existing cabinetry. It won't be cheap though.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more