Home Buying in Danbury>Question Details

Sameersood69, Home Buyer in Danbury, CT

I am buying a house in Danbury ct. The current owner had refinished his basement about 20 years back but never obtained the certificate of occupancy.

Asked by Sameersood69, Danbury, CT Thu Aug 1, 2013

What can I ask the owner to do in this case.

Help the community by answering this question:


This is a grey area. The straight forward and correct answer is to ask that permit and C/O be obtained for the work completed, but this will often kill your deal. The practical answer is that many homeowners finish their basements to avoid the trouble of dealing with town officials and avoid increase in their property assements and taxes. For the most part if there is no zoning violation (ie using a single family as a two family) and if improvements have been there 7 yrs+ town can not make homeowner tear out the finished basement unless there is a visible safety violation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 2, 2013
I always ask this question in the first meeting with a potential seller. If there is work down without a CO the appraisal is going to show that in the value it comes back with and could cause problems with the purchase. The owner needs to call town or city hall and find out what the regulations are. It could be not much is needed.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 27, 2014
From a lender's point of view we have guidelines that allow for unpermitted space. It mainly depends on how the appraiser views the property and the assessment on how the basement affects marketability. That being said, it is in the buyer's best interest to have the seller correct the unpermitted space in accordance with local building and zoning codes. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any further questions.


Fritz Walter
VP of Retail Sales
Toll free: 800-359-1996 x551
Direct: 203-783-4551
Email: fwalter@totalmortgage.com
Alt emai: fritz@post.Harvard.edu
NMLS ID: 387922
Visit my webpage: http://www.totalmortgage.com/bankers/fritz-walter/
Company Website: http://www.totalmortgage.com
Total Mortgage Services, LLC - NMLS #2764
Licensed in: CT, FL, MD, NJ, NC, SC, TX, VA
Total Mortgage Licensed in: AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, KS, ME, MD, MA, MI, MS, NE, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VT, VA, WV, WA

Total Mortgage offers a complete selection of mortgage programs including:
Conventional, FHA, FHA 580-639 FICO, FHA 203 Renovation (Streamline & Consultant), HomePath, VA, VA IRRL, USDA, Jumbo financing , and No Income or reduced income. Portfolio, jumbo, and conventional programs offered for self-employed borrowers as well.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 2, 2013
I would have the owner receive a certificate of occupancy. This will possibly show up on your title when you attempt to refinance your loan. Does it show anything on title now?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 2, 2013
Hi, the city laws/regulations could be significantly different from 20 years ago to now. Your best bet is to go to the town and ask what is needed (if anything). Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 2, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer