I am buying a house as is and the inspector wants a roof engineer and mold specialist to go out first before i get my loan. can he do that?

Asked by At My Wits End, Pennsylvania Furnace, PA Thu May 27, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Dp2, , Virginia
Sat May 29, 2010
I, like David, wonder if you're talking about a Home Inspector, City/County Building Inspector, or a Residential Appraiser.

Regardless of who made the recommendation, I'd get that roofing and mold specialist out there. Nevertheless, if a building inspector told you to do it, then you most likely won't be able to close without having hired those specialists. Similarly, if an appraiser told you to do it, then your lender won't lend to you without having seen evidence that you did hire those specialists. Additionally, some title companies won't issue title insurance for this property provided you don't follow that recommendation to hire those specialists.
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat May 29, 2010
I would consider this as infomation intended to be in your best interests. It sounds as if there may be reason to be concerned.

Our recommendation...rule out as many concerns as possible before commiting.
0 votes
David - Appr…, , Maricopa, AZ
Fri May 28, 2010
Are you talking about a City or County Building Inspector, Home Inspector, or an Appraiser?
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more