Home Buying in Fairfield>Question Details

Sharmcc, Home Buyer in Fairfield, CT

I am an ex-pat with very little credit history in the US. If we put at least half down on a condo, would we be able to get a mortgage??

Asked by Sharmcc, Fairfield, CT Thu Oct 21, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


Laura Feghali’s answer
Hello Sharmcc,
To receive the best answer to your question about qualifying for a mortgage, you should contact a mortgage banker who has many lenders that they work with as opposed to a large bank chain who may not have as many options to shop for the best interest rate for you. Obtaining a mortgage depends on the status of your visa and a mortgage banker could best advise you. I hope this is helpful.
Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential CT Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 24, 2010
Dear Sharmcc,
I am Realtor Lisa Jones and have relocated many ex-patriots here in Lower Fairfield County. Your Visa status is the one matter of which you need to be careful. I can get you in touch with my expert team of professionals I use for international re lo's. They will gladly give you free advice prior to you setting your wheels in motion.
I would be thrilled to personally take you through the process and find you the perfect home. I can start with your criteria, immediately set you up organizing your favorite listings on an online inter-active buyer's tool. I am happy to preview the homes, walking through them to assure their desirability/setting/location/quality weeding out those less favorable for later re-sale and so forth. This will save you valuable time upon your arrival. When do you plan to make the move? Please feel free to give me a call today on my cell 203-218-6664 or email me at LJones@HigginsGroup.com.
I look forward to bringing you here with ease!
Lisa Jones
Golden Key Achiever with over $35,000,000.00 in recent sales
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 21, 2010
There shouldn't be a problem. I work in the Fairfield County area and am very familiar with the market. First I would like to suggest you call the following mortgage broker. He deals with foreign investors and his company can underwrite the loans as well in case a portfolio lender is required. He is:

Paul Hirschauer
860-868-6060 ext 3

Once you speak with him, please feel free to call me when you are ready if you need further assistance with your home search.

Candy Lipira

"Your Beacon to Fairfield County Lifestyles"

Candace Lipira, Realtor
Keller Williams Platinum Properties
203-856-8501 cell
203-544-9786 home
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 21, 2010
Your best resource is a local lender who has done mortgages for international clients. Suggest you call several lenders. Lynn Farrell at CT Home Mortgage can help you. Contact info 203 461-6121 office and 203 858-4444 cell.
Web Reference: http://www.MarionFilley.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 21, 2010
Hello, Sharmcc.

A credit history is important, but some Lenders will do an alternate credit history for you. Do you have a residency status here in America? Usually 30%-40% down is required for a foreign Buyer's down payment.

I am a member of FIABCI/International Real Estate Federation licensed in CT so if I can be of any more assistance please contact me at elizabeth@elizabethherbert.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 21, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer