Home Buying in Junction City>Question Details

Monica, Home Buyer in Fort Collins, CO

I am a professional recently offered a civilian position at Fort Riley. I know I will be there for at least 2

Asked by Monica, Fort Collins, CO Sat Jan 24, 2009

years - possibly longer. I am relocating with 3 children so I want to be near good schools and in a safe neighborhood. I am trying to decide whether to buy or rent in Junction City. If I was certain I'd be staying longer than 2 years, I wouldn't hestitate to buy, but I am not sure which route to take given the possible short time there. Any thoughts?

Answers

6
The housing market in our area will allow either option for you. We have wonderful homes for sale as well as some very nice rental properties. One good option may be to rent first, so you get a real feeling for our community and can explore the area. What you will find is a stellar school system and wonderful neighborhoods. I would encourage you to come down and spend a few days in Junction City and enjoy some time at Milford lake. I would be very happy to help you in this transition.
We would like to have you! Check with cori Pratt with Caldwell Bankers.
This is an old post, would like to know if you bought or rented and would you have still made the same decision today. I actually moved to the area in summer of 2008. I scouted the area for several months then found the perfect house for me. On Milford Lake, over a year on the market, and I offered 50K less than the selling price. I ended up with a great deal, have been offered more than I paid for the house.
Looking back, the house on the lake was a good buy. My second choice would have been close to the K-State campus.
I am a realtor and I think the way the market is at this time and the interest rates being at an all time low,it is a good time to look in to homes to purchase. You are right to have some concerns, but as long as you buy smart and have the help of an agent that can give you the comparatives and share the market trends with you, I think it would still be worth your look. There are some rental homes available for a larger family, but I think that you would get more for your money by buying. There are some new homes as well as homes that are "nearly new" that are on the market for less than $70-$80 a square foot. Location, close to schools, seems to be a priority for you and I think that you should reasearch our school"s website at www. usd475.org. I think you will be very suprised to find what great schools and programs we have. I would be more than happy to forward you some listings and visit with you about your interest in the Junction City community and the possibility of a home purchase.
It is a good time to buy in Junction City. Most sellers will take less than what they are asking, unless it is the duplexes out on 77--most of those run about the same price in a given neighborhood. Get a buyer's agent (there is no fee); they can be your intermediary and help with issues you might not know, like neighborhood/school issues, hidden issues with the house, etc.
I am a Realtor, so almost always see a purchase as the route to go. My mind thinks in terms of investments. Fort Riley is situated close to both Junction City and Manhattan. With Fort Riley and Kansas State University...as well as the recent announcement from Homeland Security to locate a national center in Manhattan I believe a home purchase in or near the Manhattan area would be a great investment. If, in two years, it's time to move your potential of earning a profit on your home is good. If the market isn't quite ready in those two years you would be in an attractive position to have your own rental until it is a good time to sell. Nice family homes are hard to come by as rentals around here so that may be difficult for you to find (and in the future opportunity to rent it out if necessary).

At any rate, if you need more information I would enjoy the opportunity to discuss further with you. I service both Junction City and Manhattan areas and would be happy to provide information to you regarding schools in the area and any other items that could be of interest.

Thanks, Katie Wolf (ERA The Conderman Group)