Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Lookie-lou, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

I am a first time home buyer looking for a home from the 150-160K range in Central Austin. Sounds impossible..

Asked by Lookie-lou, Austin, TX Tue Jun 30, 2009

doesn't it? I have been preapproved and would like to move quickly. Problem is I'm having hard time finding homes that are in that area. I am open to east but want to be in an area which will appreciate. Not over-pay for something that will depreciate. Help?

There are lots of homes in your price range in the area. There's a great house in Tanglewood Forest that's a 3-2 for $165K that has been updated with a new HVAC system, new H2O, Cherry Laminate floors and recent carpet. MLS: 2707182

The catch is that good listings under $200K are selling within a matter of days. We've seen several multiple offer contracts in the past few weeks, so I recommend you find an agent knowledgeable of the area and have them set up a daily search notification for new listings in your price range. That way you get first shot at new listings when they arrive on market.
I think that South Austin is your best bet. You can find homes in this area that are very close to downtown.
You can search on my website under south Austin at http://www.CrystalKilpatrick.com

Have a great weekend:)
These are all good and varied answers to you question. Our imput would be: at the end of the day, it is all about superior knowledge of the market and superior technology and tactics to fulfill on your needs.

Any price range, area, and need can be a challenge, but with the correct assessment, consultation, and execution of strategy, we could help you attain your ambition of finding you home.

Here is a link that might help: glt.bz/accomplish

Please contact us with any questions.
Web Reference: http://www.goodlifeteam.com
All of the other answers have covered your question about Central Austin homes.

You can create and save your own custom search for all homes that are for sale on the Central Texas MLS on my website at http://www.thomas-griffin.com. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thomas Griffin
Hi Lookie-Lou,
Depends on your boundaries... If you are thinking North Central Austin (just East of 183 near Burnet and Braker, you are in luck. If you are thinking South Austin (South of Ben White/71) then you are in luck again. But if you are thinking Central Austin as in near Downtown or West of 183 between I-35 and Mopac/Loop 1 and Ben White/71 well....you will not necessarily get a house, but more like a condominium. With condos, come monthly HOA fees somwhere in the 200 a month range, ouch! East has some choices, but again, East of 183, like FM 969. Not the East Austin near Downtown.
Your dream home is out there, it's just going to take some time and patience. We, as REALTORS, do not have a crystal ball and can't guarantee appreciation. However, certain parts of Austin tend to appreciate better than others. Hope this helps. And be sure and interview many agents before you pick your buyer's agent. Personality and knowledge are keys to a successful transaction.
Hey Lou,

I did a quick 3 mile radius search from the center of Austin and found 26 properties up to your price range. If you would like I would be happy to send them to you. A few of them look like good opportunities.
You might consider finding a Fixer Upper and using the FHA 203K Renovation Loan to purchase and rehab.

Jose S. Guerrero, HUD/FHA Approved 203K Cosultant
Finding a home in Central Austin for $150-160k is going to be virtually impossible....

you are willing to put some work into the home. And I mean serious work. The only
homes in that price range, which could be considered Central Austin will likely be
in deep neglect and need substantial repairs.

If you are able to broaden your definition of "Central", you may be able to find some
homes in that range in the Springdale area or possibly Rundberg. Central means different
things to different folks, so it really depends on what your boundaries are. The further from
city center you go north, east, and south, the more affordable homes become.

Let me know if I can help clarify. Good luck. :)
Web Reference: http://www.jtreal.com

I would like to meet with you personally to get a better understanding of your needs and desires. I am sure I can locate the home that will satisfy all of your requirements. Please feel free to contact me by going to my web site. My contact information is available there. Look forward to hearing from you.