I am a college student and my mom is disabled. We are looking to find a place to call home. Where do we start?

Asked by Becca, Salina, KS Sun Jun 24, 2012

Answers

4
Stan Fields, Agent, Salinas, CA
Sun Jun 24, 2012
Becca,
Thanks for your inquiry. There are a few things that I need to better understand to help you find the right home:
1) a better understanding of your mother's limitations
2) the features you would like to have
3) the neighborhood(s) that you are most interested in
4) your price range comfort zone

I would be happy to work with you to find the home that best fits your needs/wants.

I have church this morning and open houses this afternoon. Feel free to call, text, or e-mail me after 1 PM today. We can start the process whenever you are ready.

Thanks.
Stan
Urimportant2…, Home Owner, Lebanon, KS
Sat Jun 30, 2012
Becca, There is no good answer to your question, but if Mom is disabled and has an income, you must first see what is available for a house payment. For instance in the little town of Lebanon, KS, 110 mile from Salina, there is a house that is available for less than $200.00 per month to purchase it. The man who owns will finance and he is asking $20,000.00 and I believe a ten year pay off. IF college is your primary concern, the closest colleges are in Beloit KS about an hour's drive and then in Concordia, KS about 75 minutes one way and then in Hastings Nebraska about 75-80 minutes drive. Of course if you had CDs to which you could listen you could study as you drive. However budget is the thing. OH, I am not a real estate agent and therefore my knowledge of what is available is limited, but I am not looking to make a commission, they do make a commission and that is their way of earning a living, so they know more. Most of them will help you as they hope that they can make a commission, but you are under no obligation to anyone of them until you sign on the dotted line. So tell them that you may be talking to several and that you may not end up purchasing from them, that may eliminate some, but... Honesty is always best. Remember your BUDGET. There is a house for you!
Cheri Rayas, Agent, Salina, KS
Mon Jun 25, 2012
Becca, thank you for contacting me. I believe Stan and Brian have answered your questions. If you need additional help, I'm at 785-827-7200 ext 24. Cheri
Brian Haugh, Agent, Salina, KS
Sun Jun 24, 2012
Thank you for contacting me. If you are thinking of buying the best thing to do would be to get prequalified with a lender. There are local lenders who will do this for free. If you need help picking one you can call me at 785-825-8144. If you are wanting to rent instead probably the best place to look would be the Salina Journal as they post homes that are rentals. If you would like I would be glad to help with purchasing a new home, showing, writing the contract, etc but first would be to know if that's the direction you want to go and then making sure you qualify for the type of home you want, comfortable with the monthly payment, etc.