I am a canadian, plan to buy house in area 32224. How much the property tax? Any other cost I have to know?

Asked by Ong, 32224 Tue Jan 11, 2011

Answers

10
Tom Priester, Agent, Tequesta, FL
Wed Jan 12, 2011
Dear Ong,

If you are looking for a great time to buy in Florida you have found it. Property taxes will vary depending on where you end up buying but as a "rule of thumb" you can figure about 2% of the purchase price for property taxes. Again, each property is different so you must carefully research all of the costs associated with that home; are there non ad-valorem taxes like CDD fees? Is the property encumbered by an HOA? The best place to start is with a clear definition of your goals. Working with a professional agent who can notify you of matching opportunities is critical to successfully finding the best property and negotiating the best pricing and terms.

Your best bet is most probably going to be a bank owned foreclosure but then your targeted developments will all have different levels of foreclosure activity and the Realtor you are working with should be able to provide you data of what will be upcoming in those neighborhoods. Patience has it's virtues and at times the "hunt" can be lengthy for locating the perfect match so better to start early so you do not miss an opportunity that may pas you by down the road. The key for you is finding the right opportunity and you just never know when it might present itself.

Inventory levels will be different depending on location but last year in most areas we saw the highest levels of inventory during the first quarter. Most of my market areas have lower inventory levels at this time than they have for quite a while so it really is not something that you can time on a seasonal basis. Prices again will depend on what type of property you are looking for; many market segments, typically on the lower end of the scale appear to have hit bottom and it is hard to imagine any scenario that would drive prices any lower. Other segments, luxury homes for example, there are incredibly high inventories and we should see continued downward pricing pressure. Each property is unique to itself and a careful analysis of the market directly surrounding that property is very, very important.

If you are set in Jacksonville I know the area well as I used to live there and have many colleagues I would be happy to refer you to. Remember that the winter weather than far north is considerably different than south Florida; for instance it is pretty normal to see night time differences of 20 degrees+ this time of year. I work with a lot of are Canadian neighbors and you should also consider looking in the Palm Beach and Martin County areas. You might enjoy reading a blog I did a while back;

http://tompriester.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/jupiter-rocks/

Your best bet at this point is to start working with a professional Realtor to help you along this path. A few recommendations I would make; I would tell you to not sign a buyer's broker agreement with anyone. This is a form an agent will use to tie you up and ensure any transaction you make will only be through them. Find an agent who is happy to perform their services with the knowledge that if they do not properly meet your expectations they will lose your business. Second, never call a listing agent about a home they have listed as their initial relationship with the seller will prevent you from working out the best deal. Finally, I would recommend that you interview at least three qualified agents to assist you and select one who you feel will have your best interests as their primary goal. I work almost entirely as a buyers agent and certainly would be honored to be on your list if you want to explore opportunities in this area. If you are set up north again I have many colleagues and would be happy to refer you to someone I know will take very good care of you.

I hope this information is helpful but if you need anything additional please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Web Reference:  http://www.tompriester.com
David Lane, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Wed Jan 12, 2011
E
32224 Zip Code Detailed Profile

Profiles Jacksonville, FL (32224) houses, apartments, residents, cars, jobs...
Back to All US cities.

City: Jacksonville, FL
Duval County, FL
Zip code population (2000): 32,625
Estimated zip code population in 2009: 35,871

See Homes for Sale in 32224. Search By Bed, Bath, and Price Range!

View 32224 Apartments For Rent

Home Value Estimate
Address:
Unit (optional):

City
State
AK AL AR AZ CA CO CT DC DE FL GA HI IA ID IL IN KS KY LA MA MD ME MI MN MO MS MT NC ND NE NH NJ NM NV NY OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VA VT WA WI WV WY Zip

Recent Home Sales
Address:

City

State

Min Price (optional)

Max Price (optional)

Prioritization: Sale Date Distance

Recent home sales, real estate maps, and home value estimator for zip code 32224

General Map Google Map MSN Map
General Map Google Map MSN Map
General Map Google Map MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...

Houses and condos: 13,450
Renter-occupied apartments: 5,315

% of renters here:
42%
State:
30%

Dec. 2009 cost of living index in zip code 32224: 89.5 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)

Land area: 20.2 sq. mi.
Water area: 0.0 sq. mi.
Population density: 1780 people per square mile
(low).

Estimate of real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2009:

This zip code:
2.0% ($1,913)
Florida:
1.9% ($1,262)

Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2009 in Jacksonville: $1,503 (0.9%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2009 in Jacksonville: $881 (0.6%)

Profiles of local businessesHonorable Home Services LLC
Ibis Property Services Inc.

Put your B&M business profile right here for free. 20,000 businesses already created their profiles!

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses

Search for: near:
Males: 15,978 (49.0%)
Females: 16,647 (51.0%)

Recent posts about zip code 32224 area on our local forum with over 1,000,000 registered users: The best Chinese restaurant (162 replies)
Moving to Jacksonville, Need HELP!! (31 replies)
Possibly moving down... (15 replies)
UCF Now Third Largest University In Country (31 replies)
Looking 4 a Home in Jacksonville, FL (16 replies)
jacksonville.. what up with dat? (6 replies)
Urban population: 32,569
Rural population: 56

Estimated median house/condo value in 2009: $280,338

32224:
$280,338
Florida:
$182,400

According to our research of public records there were 10 registered sex offenders living in 32224 zip code in middle 2010.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this zip code is a lot smaller than the state average.

Median resident age: 30.5 years
Florida median age: 38.7 years

Average household size:

This zip code: 2.5 people
Florida: 2.5 people

Averages for the 2004 tax year for zip code 32224, filed in 2005:
Average Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) in 2004: $68,931 (Individual Income Tax Returns)

Here:
$68,931
State:
$50,523

Salary/wage: $54,854 (reported on 87.9% of returns)

Here:
$54,854
State:
$39,563

(% of AGI for various income ranges: 136.0% for AGIs below $10k, 85.3% for AGIs $10k-25k, 85.9% for AGIs $25k-50k, 80.6% for AGIs $50k-75k, 80.4% for AGIs $75k-100k, 59.1% for AGIs over 100k)

Taxable interest for individuals: $2,328 (reported on 47.1% of returns)

This zip code:
$2,328
Florida:
$3,211

(% of AGI for various income ranges: 8.9% for AGIs below $10k, 1.5% for AGIs $10k-25k, 1.1% for AGIs $25k-50k, 1.2% for AGIs $50k-75k, 1.4% for AGIs $75k-100k, 1.7% for AGIs over 100k)

Taxable dividends: $7,577 (reported on 27.4% of returns)

Here:
$7,577
State:
$6,129

(% of AGI for various income ranges: 5.6% for AGIs below $10k, 1.2% for AGIs $10k-25k, 1.0% for AGIs $25k-50k, 1.5% for AGIs $50k-75k, 1.4% for AGIs $75k-100k, 4.3% for AGIs over 100k)

Net capital gain/loss: +$21,803 (reported on 23.3% of returns)

Here:
+$21,803
State:
+$27,205

(% of AGI for various income ranges: -0.8% for AGIs below $10k, 0.2% for AGIs $10k-25k, -0.2% for AGIs $25k-50k, 0.7% for AGIs $50k-75k, 1.2% for AGIs $75k-100k, 12.8% for AGIs over 100k)

Profit/loss from business: +$12,640 (reported on 12.4% of returns)

Here:
+$12,640
State:
+$10,634

(% of AGI for various income ranges: -0.3% for AGIs below $10k, 3.4% for AGIs $10k-25k, 2.2% for AGIs $25k-50k, 1.6% for AGIs $50k-75k, 1.4% for AGIs $75k-100k, 2.6% for AGIs over 100k)

IRA payment deduction: $3,186 (repor
Donald Price, , Orange Park, FL
Tue Jan 11, 2011
The property tax will vary on the location of the lot, the improvements of the lot(size home) and weather the home is homesteaded or not. Your answers can be found at http://www.coj.net, then click on property search. Give me a call 904-962-8089. Thank you, Don
Joey Gabriel, Agent, Jacksonvile Beach, FL
Tue Jan 11, 2011
Hi Ong,

I actually specialize and live in the 32224 area. Property taxes are based on the size of the lot, and the specific location. Feel free to call me at 904-866-1981 to discuss specific neighborhoods and annual tax estimates. Only other costs you need to be aware of is homeowner association fee's for neighborhoods with gates, amenities or other common area items.

Joseph Gabriel
REALTOR
http://www.jgabrielrealtor.com
Danielle Riv…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Tue Jan 11, 2011
Hi Ong;

How exciting to be moving from Canada. It will be equally important to work with a professional realtor that has moved from the north and knows what type of information you need to make educated decisions. Property taxes on each home will be different depending if the seller has homesteaded their property. You can look at the taxes of each property by going to:
coj.net
Property Appraiser (located on left blue bar under offices, scroll down to property appraiser) THEN
Property Search
Put in address (Hint: put in as little information as possible, this system is very sensitive)
or try cutting and pasting this link: http://apps.coj.net/pao_propertySearch/Basic/Search.aspx
***If you have any issues, feel free to call me at (904) 566-0062******

I would love to help you buy your home here as I moved here to Jacksonville 7 yrs ago from the North and understand what type of tools you will need to move here successfully and without incident, especially when it comes to registering cars and so on....

Please don't hesitate to let me know how I can earn your business but a little about me:

Danielle Rivers "Your Tell It Like It Is Realtor"
Top Multi-Million Dollar Producer
Passionate about getting you the absolute best deal
Strong Negotiator
Informative and communicative to your needs
High ability to problem solve in and outside my expertise

If I can earn your business please don't hesitate to contact me:

Mobile: (904)566-0062
Email: HomeBuyerNetwork@gmail.com

Thanks so much for the opportunity to serve your needs.
With Warmest Regards,
Danielle
A.D Singh, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Tue Jan 11, 2011
If you can provide me a bit more information, I can give you exact current taxes of that perticular property you looking at. You reach me by phone (904) 302-4373 or email ADNFMLS@GMAIL.COM
I do have 100s of listing in 32224 zip code, if you want me to assist you. Thanks and regards.
Web Reference:  http://www.nfmls.com
Kmbrennan, , Florida
Tue Jan 11, 2011
Ong.
the exact tax liabilty for any property in the county can be found at coj.net .Closing costs on a purchase transaction should be right around 3% of the sales price. This percentage will lower as the sales price increases because some of the fees are flat and not tied to sales price. i.e - the appraisal will be around $400 whether the home is a $50K purchase or a $500K purchase
feel free to contact me for any assistance
Christian Wi…, Other Pro, Jacksonville, FL
Tue Jan 11, 2011
Property tax depends on the property. you can check past and proposed taxes via the property appraisers website @ http://apps.coj.net/pao_propertySearch/Basic/Search.aspx

Other costs depend on what closing costs you and the seller agree to in your purchase and sale agreement/contract. You may want/need hazard insurance, appraisal, building inspection, wood destroying organism inspection that are all paid upfront and total around $1,000.00- $2,000.00.
Sellin' With…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Tue Jan 11, 2011
Well our taxes are complicated and are based on assessed value of the property and then of course what you pay for it. If you are going to occupy the home as your primary residence then you will have the opportunity to have an additional $50,000 taken off your taxable amount as long as the value is over $50,000. In the state of Florida the taxes are estimated off the property's previous years taxes when you purchase. If you purchase a home that was not homestead or taxes that are based on a higher value than what you purchase, your taxes will go down the following year. If you are getting a mortgage, then that person can estimate a monthly payment for you. If you are numbers person there is a calculation : purchase price x 92% -homestead X millage rate = yearly taxes.
Other costs to purchase include your down payment, homeowners Insurance and closing costs which will be paid at closing. Binder deposit, Home Inspections, WDO inspections and appraisals will paid upfront. Happy house hunting.
Web Reference:  http://www.SellingWithCC.com
Charles Chor…, Agent, Orange Park, FL
Tue Jan 11, 2011
Hi Ong,

Your property taxes will be about $17 per $1000 in Duval county. The cost to close should you finance here will be about 8-10% of the purchase price. Your agent can also negotiate these costs for you. Should you pay cash the cost will be much less. Please contact me so I can give you an estimate of the individual costs. I can be reached toll free at 877-331-3359 or email yourrealtor@att.net. Look forward to assisting you.

Regards
Charlie
Charlie Chorman - REALTOR
Coldwell Banker Vanguard Realty
Web Reference:  http://jaxhomesinfo.com