I am a RETIRED REAL ESTATE AGENT IN OKLAHOMA CITY. I still have my license; however, it is inactive.

Asked by kay, Plainsboro, NJ Tue Jun 18, 2013

I of course want to represent myself so I call the listing agent of any house I am interested in seeing. I want to reduce the Purchase Price by 3% because the seller need not pay a commission to a buyer agent (me). How do I write this in an offer I am about to make so the LA will not automatically get 6% and the Seller will understand this????

Answers

6
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Wed Jun 19, 2013
Hi Kay,

Define "inactive", inactive as in with a referral company? The you can ask for a referral on the sale. Otherwise with an inactive license and not a NJ license, from what I know, you are not entitled to a reduction or a referral.

Let us know how it goes!
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Wed Jun 19, 2013
Hi Kay,

Let us know how it goes!
Michael Nyiri, Agent, Rockaway, NJ
Tue Jun 18, 2013
You are not entitled to anything. If the LA wants to discount his commission to make the deal that is their option.
Diane Vanvli…, , New Jersey
Tue Jun 18, 2013
An inactive license mean an inactive license...You are just like any other client...However, if your license was active you could receive a referral fee...That is it....

Diane
Trupti Gandhi, Agent, Princeton, NJ
Tue Jun 18, 2013
You might be as good as a lay person if your license is inactive and hence the full commission might be due to the LA - or as per the listing agreement.

So sorry to say but you may not end up getting a break of this 3% you are after... Also, not all the listings offer 3% to the buyer's agent.
Trupti Gandhi, Agent, Princeton, NJ
Tue Jun 18, 2013
You need to first talk to a Broker and understand if you can really do that. Is your license in referral?