bbrig, Home Buyer in Lakeside, CA

I African American and my fiance is Hispanic...does this area still have racism issues that I should consider before purchasing?

Asked by bbrig, Lakeside, CA Fri Feb 8, 2013

Concerned about racism, we want to live comfortably...without vandalism or feeling on edge in our living quarters.

Answers

5
Cory La Scala, Agent, San Diego, CA
Fri Feb 8, 2013
Jeez, I'd hope not! One thing, you can't be discriminated against when you look for housing, whether you buy or rent. People are people though, and you could always run into it anywhere. Before you settle on a place, talk to the neighbors. You'll get a great idea of their view of the neighborhood, and maybe a vibe as to their view on you. There are other areas in East County too. El Cajon has so many different neighborhoods, and there's always Santee close by, and La Mesa if you want to be that far west.

Good luck to you!
Dana Rosas &…, Agent, Covina, CA
Fri Feb 8, 2013
NO! There are no issues I know of in Lakeside of Racism. There should be none anywhere here. If you run into this call your congressman. Also call Hud in Fair Housing. They will put a stop to this. If you need a very good Broker call my daughter and I. 626-393-4271 Dana & Eva
Call your Congressman.......seriously?
Flag Wed Nov 13, 2013
jonesebaby, Home Buyer, Smith River, CA
Sun Nov 3, 2013
Excuse me, racism is alive and happening all over the world. Just ignore it, if you love your mate nothing else matters. I was married to a Chinese woman for 22 years and I got a lesson in "Selective Racism". Yea, we can put up with Latinos BUT when the Orientals come in, "Well that's another story" ! The folks would say. I would keep quiet and listen to co-workars spew this crud out of their mouths about this race and that race, just live your life to the fullest and ignore these shallow basts. I have two beautiful daughters, one is a concert pianist the other is a doctor. Love your mate 1
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Fri Feb 8, 2013
I think this is a delicate question because Realtors are not legally allowed to make negative commends about a specific area.

Since there is also some subjectivity to his, why take someone else's work for it one way or another? Why don't you spend some time in Lakeside together. Go out to restaurants, coffeehouses, yard sales, etc and see how you are treated! That will give you a much better answer than hearing it from someone else.

Please let me know if I can assist you with your home search.
Very true, I just don't want to waste my time doing so if I am advised otherwise. This market is tough,so you don't have much time to waver when deciding to make a decision. But we did explore today and will probably do so some more this weekend. Perhaps Sunday brunch is an order!
Flag Fri Feb 8, 2013
Valli Lopez, Agent, San Diego, CA
Fri Feb 8, 2013
I grew up in Lakeside, my boyfriend is bi racial, we frequent restaurants and socialize occasionally in Lakeside. I really think it has changed quite a bit from the reputation it had many years ago. Although, you'd have to see how you felt for yourself. Try going in Eastbound Grill or the Rodeo when it comes to town, stop by the local 7-11 when you can. It really depends on how you feel, because you will become a part of that community. But, the best thing to do is go in those places and catch the vibes for yourself.

Best of Luck to you!

Valli Lopez
01810641 CA DRE
619.916.9595 cell
Valli@thebrikhogroup.com
Web Reference:  http://www.ValliLopez.com
Thanks, that's actually our plan today! We are going to check out the neighborhood and walk our dog (weather permitting). Hopefully we will get a good idea of the area that way.
Flag Fri Feb 8, 2013