INVESTORS DID NOT GET PERMITS AND RESOLD PROPERTY...HOW DID THEY GET AWAY WITH THAT...AND CLEAR IT OFF THE TITLE???

Asked by LINSHR10, Hialeah, FL Fri Mar 1, 2013

I SOLD MY HOUSE TO INVESTORS AT A LOWER PRICE AS I HAD UNPERMITTED SPACES ON MY TITLE (FROM PREVIOUS OWNER THAT I GOT STUCK WITH) INVESTORS DID NOT GET PERMITS AND RESOLD PROPERTY...HOW DID THEY GET AWAY WITH THAT...AND CLEAR IT OFF THE TITLE??? NOW THESE NEW OWNERS HAVE NO IDEA THEY HAVE 3 ROOMS THAT ARE UNPERMITTED.....

Answers

2
Stephanie Le…, Agent, Miami Lakes, FL
Thu May 2, 2013
Permits only effect title if they have a monetary value attached to them. If the buyers did not look into this then it will be over looked. The buyer should of asked for a property disclosure from the seller and perform a home inspection by a lic. inspector who would check all that for them and give them a report. It is sad to say but many home buyer today do not want to pay the a couple of hundred dollars for an inspection and thing like this could happen..

Also, they could of bought the property AS/IS and the buyer will assume any and all repairs should the home have any unpermitted spaces. This is very common these days.

Without knowing the terms of their contract we can only guess.
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Fri Mar 1, 2013
Flip off the caps lock please

How did unpermited rooms get on the title in the first place? I do not think that would show up on a title. Some times sellers do not disclose what they should and sometimes buyers don't investigate as they should before they buy. Having an experienced agent helps and hiring quality home inspectors help. Did they have any of these of the buyers side?
continued: page 2 and refused to permit anything.....wanted everything torn out......and threatened to send me to jail and a $10,000. fine.....anyway, I was unemployed at the time so code compliance put it on my title....when I put it on the market I disclosed everything......and of course the price was lowered for these investors to bring everything up to code.....but they didn't do anything.....and did a new kitchen and remodeled 2 bathrooms with no permits...so how did they clear the title?? and get away with this....and then resell the house to new buyers??
Flag Fri Mar 1, 2013
sorry about the caps......code compliance showed up at my door 10 years after I bought my house....I just about had a nervous breakdown when I was told 3 rooms that were added on did not have permits....(I rented the house from the previous owner and he did work on the house before I bought it...he was a real estate broker/general contractor)....then he said he was letting it go into foreclosure and I could stay until the bank found out and then I would have to move....so a year later a marshall showed up and said either I move out or buy the house.....so stupid me...I bought the house...as is.....I loved the house....1944 and I did so much work trying to restore it to its original glory...beautiful oak floors had them redone...new roof....central heating......landscaping front and back......restored the pool.........all to get a code person showing up with the news.......I did do what they wanted and got drawings/permits ....but the inspector said everything was wrong....
Flag Fri Mar 1, 2013