Husband on mortgage, joint checking

Asked by Traci Miller Babetski, Austin, TX Thu Feb 6, 2014

My husband is going on our mortgage. Since I don't work (stay at home mom) and have a lot of unsecured debt from a previous marriage I am not going on the mortgage. He has a good credit score, a good income, but we only have a joint checking since I don't work and all the debts I pay out of our joint finances are right there. We are around 38% DI with just his debts but adding my puts it up to like 46%. I'm worried they will see all these monthly payments and deny the loan. I know we can make the mortgage payment and I am returning to work once I find a job (toddler is ready for preschool) but I'm just afraid these aren't factors that will improve their confidence if they don't like what they see coming out of our checking. No one advised us to separate our checking accounts.

Answers

10
Trevor Curran, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Great Neck, NY
Thu Feb 6, 2014
Good morning Traci, you need to be qualified by an experienced (at least 15 years) local Mortgage Banker. BUT from what you describe, you shouldn't have the problem you think you're going to have. All the best! Trevor Curran NMLS #40140 If you thought my answer was good, please vote "BEST" or give me a "Thumbs Up." Thanks!
Don Groff, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Mar 19, 2014
Hello Traci,

Have you spoken to a lender? You will definitely want to get pre-approved. If you were considering FHA for example the lender will need to pull your credit and your debts will be included with just your husbands income. To avoid that you will need to go conventional. Even with a 46% debt ratio you may still be able to get approved with strong credit. I have a client closing on Thursday with a 48.8% debt ratio. He has strong credit and the loan make sense so the same may be true for you.

The thing is you need to look at your options. Somebody like myself, I am a Realtor and a mortgage broker can be very helpful. I work directly with over 15 different lenders. This allows me to pull just one credit report and find you the best place for your loan. So I can always find you the best options.

I have lenders who can go up to a 50% debt ratio still today so if you would like to talk please let me know.

Hope this helps.

_____________________________________________________
Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
JOSEPH E JAR…, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Feb 6, 2014
Traci, I happen to be one of the top agents in the greater Austin area and have some excellent lenders who will be happy to look at your situation at no cost to you and help you figure things out. Feel free to contact me anytime from 10 AM to 7 PM and I will connect you with one of them and see what they can do to help. Thanks, Joe

Joe Jarusinsky, REALTOR®, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Call 512-261-4415
, ,
Thu Feb 6, 2014
I am based in Austin, let's discuss your loan scenario in more detail. Contact me at 800 315 8803. My name is Bart and I have been in the mortgage business since 1987. I am happy to answer your mortgage questions, 7 days a week and review your loan scenario. Until then, I look forward to hearing from you.

Bart Gabe - Lending Nationwide Since 1987

http://www.bartprequalifies.com

bart@bartprequalifies.com

800 315 8803

NMLS 20743
Tony Grech, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Southfield, MI
Thu Feb 6, 2014
Assuming your husband's credit is good, 46% is not that high of a debt to income ratio and it's likely he could be approved. You'd have to speak to a lender to find out for sure though, because there are a lot more details involved than just the ones provided, Feel free to give me a call and I can walk you through things.

Tony

Tony Grech | Mortgage Loan Originator | NMLS 977416
PMAC Lending Services, Inc.
Direct (248) 728-0078 | Fax (248) 595-7130 | Cell (313) 622-7383
tony.grech@pmac.com
Ryan Leahy, , Austin, TX
Thu Feb 6, 2014
Traci,
The responses from the other lenders are accrurate. There are loan programs that allow you to qualfy up to 45% DTI and FHA will go higher. But if you are concerned about your DTI around your loan, that gives concern. I am glad to talk with you to understand your concern.

I am a local lender with a track record of success. I look forward to seeing if I can help.

Talk soon,
Ryan

Ryan Earl Leahy, CMPS, CDPP
Leahy Lending Team
Cornerstone Home Lending Company
2600 Via Fortuna #330
Austin, Texas 78746
Work: 512.380.1921
Ryan@LeahyLending.com
Visit our website at http://www.LeahyLending.com

“Team Work Makes Dreams Work!”

Our Track Record of Success in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013:

• Ryan Leahy, Recognized by Austin Business Journal as a TOP 25 Mortgage Banker in Central Texas 2011, 2012, 2013
• Leahy and Associates is a Featured Lender in TEXAS MONTHLY Magazine with one of the Highest Customer Satisfaction Rating in Central Texas for loans closed in 2011, 2012 AND 2013
• Ryan Leahy received the coveted Top Producer Award for 2010, 2011, 2012, AND 2013 being top 10% at Cornerstone
• Ryan Leahy was a Finalist for Austin Under 40 awards 2010 and 2011.
• Ryan Leahy is the Third Year Chair for the Boy Scouts Sporting Clay Shoot that takes place every October, this event supports scout troops in under privileged areas of Austin raising over $50,000 per year. http://www.shootforscouts.com

Ryan Leahy: Austin’s Trusted Local Lender
John Crowe, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Feb 6, 2014
Traci,
Did you have a question in there?

Best, John

John Crowe, Broker
Keller Williams
John Broussa…, , Houston, TX
Thu Feb 6, 2014
I would be glad to speak to you about this matter, I'm sure we have a loan program that would allow your husband to obtain a mortgage.

John Broussard
Newbridge Home Loans
713-777-9996 Ext 103
Direct: 832-429-4389
john@newbridgehomeloans.com
http://www.newbridgehomeloans.com
Diana Proud, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Feb 6, 2014
There are several good lenders that you could speak with to help answer these questions for you. Please send an email Traci and I can forward the names of several in the Austin area. I know that things will work out for you.

Diana Proud
diana@dianaproud.com
512-633-4287
Steven Nusin…, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Feb 6, 2014
The best thing to do is to talk to a local mortgage lender. I would be happy to refer you to someone. Please feel free to contact me anytime. P.S I am up with my toddler early this morning too.

Steve Nusinow
(512)922-7588